Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista to 7 disaster

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaveGulliksen

DaveGulliksen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi, All,

I'm new to the forum, and although I've been doing programming for many years, operating systems are not my forte'.

Recently I upgraded a PC at home from Vista to Windows 7. All seemed to work fine for several days. I have Norton 360 and regularly update.

But then programs would freeze during loading. It can be any program, from IE8 to Chrome, to Windows Explorer or Solitaire. I might get just the splash screen or a blank screen or nothing at all. After that NOTHING will load, including Task Manager. But windows already loaded will continue to work. Thinking it might be an IE bug, diagnostics I run say that Data Execution Protection is turned off. Turning it on doesn't seem to "take" permanently, even doing it for all programs in Windows Control Panel.

When I log out, I always get a screen that the listed programs aren't shutting down asking if it should be forced. If I do nothing, after a few seconds the message will disappear and continue the shutdown. Sometimes it has listed one or more programs I tried to run, but sometimes *no* program will be listed above the message.

Runnning in Safe Mode with Internet Access, everything will run just fine. I disabled every IE add-in and every start up process that I was sure I didn't need. I ran Malwarebytes and Norton 360 both in safe mode and regular Windows mode and they reported no problems. Other online scanners also reported no problems. I took off Norton 360 thinking that might be interfering with load up but that didn't help.

I started running Task Manager when I first got into Windows and it usually loaded, but its display seems "frozen", with CPU usage at about 90% and idle time at over 95%. The CPU usage bar is all green.

Process Explorer gave me more information, but after I ran it a couple of times, the Process Name column at the left disappeared, even though it isn't a hideable column.

I don't know if it's relevant, but Media Center won't play files it has cataloged itself, saying they don't exist.

Any thoughts about what I should try next? If this is a virus, it's 10 times more sophisticated than any I've ever run across before.

Dave G

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 al57

al57

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi there. here are a few things to try first of all was this an upgrade or new install. If it was anew install did you check in system information
to see if windows 7 is activated and if so is it genuine. if it is not genuine then you need to make it so. have you ran all the windows updates
if windows is not updated then you will have issues with programs. hope this helps

#3 DaveGulliksen

DaveGulliksen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

al57,

This is an upgrade, not a new install. I got the upgrade package from Newegg (a 3-pack) so I'm pretty sure it's genuine. It's 32-bit, by the way, so there should be few to no compatibility issues for things like IE and built in games. Automatic update is turned on, so Windows 7 should be up to date, too.

Dave G

#4 DaveGulliksen

DaveGulliksen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

An update - It seems that the problem relates to the physical opening of a window. It can from opening an application by clicking on an icon, or right-clicking something in the toolbar and clicking on properties, or opening a new tab in IE, or trying to start task manager, or anything else that opens any sort of new window. An when I log out, for an instant, all the windows appear on my desktop fully loaded. Bizarre!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hello, first we'll do a quick scan and see if any malware show,

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DaveGulliksen

DaveGulliksen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Running Malwarebytes was one of the first things I tried, as well as Norton 360 and a couple of other online scanners. I ran them in safe mode and regular windows. Every one came up clean. That's why I say if this is a virus, it's the best I've seen.

The problem is always with ->opening a new window<-. It can hang even opening a new tab in IE. I set all system properties to "best performance" to turn off any of the advanced animation, etc., but no difference.

#7 DaveGulliksen

DaveGulliksen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

A final followup. I followed the instructions for a clean boot and determined that the culprit is Windows Speech Recognition. Don't know what to do about it yet, but at relieved it's not a virus.

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users