Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Computer..need Advice

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alohasurf

alohasurf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

Ok I need to know if this is all good for gaming. And of course regular use for instant messaging and internet browsing.

But mainly gaming smile recent games...

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128268

Computer Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811144151

Hard Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144309

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102536

Memory: I have 1g now but will buy 2nd soon.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145526

ok with this combination..what do you guys think for the new sports, and army games?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

I like it, BUT! Since you are going to 2gb of RAM anyways you should do it now so you could amp up to 4 gb later. Never know what the new games will demand.
What about the power supply? As big as you can afford.
I know you will take a preformance hit but instead of 1 x16 video card how about two video cards for dual monitors? Spam them and get twice the field of view.
Just an idea.

Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

Go 2x1GB of ram, not 4x512MB. Reason being 2 sticks of running in daul channel (1T) will run faster than 4 sticks (2T). The difference in data bandwidth on a AMD system is as follows (note this is my system) 1T = 6GB+
2T = just over 4GB.

Acklan, i may have mis-understood your post above, but 1x16 graphics card is all that mobo (the 1 he linked) has, plus SLI dosen't "yet" support dual monitors.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

In the detail speces it lists 1-PCIx16, and 1 PCIx1 slots. I don't know about the dual monitor capabilities of the BIOS. I thought that was controlled thru windows. My mistake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...268#DetailSpecs

Edited by acklan, 20 December 2005 - 07:45 PM.

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:29 PM

Don't get that video card. A X700 will not do too well with gaming I would recommend this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814135185 it's only seven dollars more and will blow that other card out of the water. Other than that it looks good but you'll need a good power supply and processor. (I'm guessing you already know this, but, you can never be too sure.) Acklan, graphics cards don't use the PCI-e 1x interface, in fact not much does at all yet. That board will only run one video card on either a PCI or PCI-e 16x slot, but, you can still run dual monitors as long as your video card can.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

I learned something. I was unaware of that. I was under the false impression that PCIe was like AGP and only for video. I stand corrected.
Thank you.

Merry Christmas.

#7 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:03 AM

I learned something. I was unaware of that. I was under the false impression that PCIe was like AGP and only for video. I stand corrected.
Thank you.

Merry Christmas.

Well they're not used for much yet other than graphics cards. Some Abit boards use the PCI-e 1x for their sound card and until devices need more bandwidth they won't be fully utilized.

Happy holidays to you too.

Edited by welco, 21 December 2005 - 12:04 AM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#8 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

Everything looks good except:

The x700 series, wasnt all good performance wise. instead of getting 2 gigabytes of ram, wich is completely useless right now. Not even games like HL2 or quake 4 require more than 768 megabytes of temporary texture memory. I reccomend you stay with 1 gig, use the extra 66-70 bucks to beef that card up to at least a 6600gt/x800gt

Go 2x1GB of ram, not 4x512MB. Reason being 2 sticks of running in daul channel (1T) will run faster than 4 sticks (2T). The difference in data bandwidth on a AMD system is as follows (note this is my system) 1T = 6GB+
2T = just over 4GB.

The 1 gigabyte sticks are going to be around 90-100 each, so your going to pay an extra 200 bucks if you do.

Since you are going to 2gb of RAM anyways you should do it now so you could amp up to 4 gb later. Never know what the new games will demand.
What about the power supply? As big as you can afford.

New games like doom3, and FEAR. Dont ever go above 512 megabytes for texture memory. Even games Like HL2, and Quake 4, will never go above 768. Theres no reason to spend an extra 200 bucks on areas where you could use improvement.

About the Power supply, go for a 450-500 watt. Anything bigger will eat your budget out.

Edited by Salo, 21 December 2005 - 01:15 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:34 AM

Do the games themself use 512 to 768 mb of memory? I don't game and by the time all my security programs and back ground programs start I am into 340mb of RAM.

#10 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:06 AM

Do the games themself use 512 to 768 mb of memory? I don't game and by the time all my security programs and back ground programs start I am into 340mb of RAM.

The textures for the game do, yes. Like all the pictures and textures that the graphics card renders to create a playable game. They use physical ram, and the ram paired with the video card. But the rest of the game, relies on the gpu, cpu, and pagefile.

And whats happening when you start your computer, is your computer is using your harddrive as swap space, or pagefile. Usually a machine with 512 megabytes of ram, has 1000 megabytes of pagefile which is kind of like ram. But on the harddrive.

Edited by Salo, 21 December 2005 - 03:07 AM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:15 AM

I understand. And I understand no matter how much RAM you have Windows will always try to use some swapfiles.
With that said I would not see improvement on a machine like mine that chews up 340 out the box, and another 512 to 768 for the game with a boost of over 1 gb? Would windows ignore the RAM above 1gb and just use the swapfile?

#12 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

It would recognize it, but It would only use it if some application or game actually required it. Wich will be, not for a very long time. Thats why getting 4 gigs is worthless.

Windows wont always use pagefile, for example, it can be turned off. But then, no applications or games would use pagefile and they would write directly to ram, and actually take up ram. This is a bad idea, because alot of times, a program/game will take 340 mb for its use, but only use 128.

Edited by Salo, 21 December 2005 - 03:44 AM.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

Unless your going to wait for Vista or use Xp 64-bit, I'd top it at 2GB. Windows isn't really good at dealing with it running out registry and that is a recipe for BSOD.

One thing though: Processor?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

A gaming machine with 2gigs of ram and the page file turned off was noticbly faster and better (smoother)graphics than a similar station we had configured with one gig of ram and the pagefile activated. the bottom line is 2 gigs of ram is ideal for serious gaming >>>> but more than that is a waste and 4 gigs will give you fits ~~ even if your mobo maker says it can take it !! Two one gig sticks will noticibly out perform 4 x 512 too !! you could however if the budget necassitates it - install 2 x 512 dual channel kit (matching sticks) then later upgrade to the 2 sticks of one gig each ram configuration then sell off the 2 x 512 to offset the costs ????? food for thought

as far a power supply >>>>> save yourself a ton of aggravation and get a good high quality one >>>> like Antec or Enermax you can get the Antec SP-500 now for about $68.00 thats an awesome deal on a high quality PSU dont waste yur money on a cheap generic PSU they generally burn out other devices when they crap out.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

BETTER = http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

regards

joe

Edited by linderman, 21 December 2005 - 03:59 PM.

#15 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

A gaming machine with 2gigs of ram and the page file turned off was noticbly faster and better (smoother)graphics than a similar station we had configured with one gig of ram and the pagefile activated. the bottom line is 2 gigs of ram is ideal for serious gaming >>>> but more than that is a waste and 4 gigs will give you fits ~~ even if your mobo maker says it can take it !! Two one gig sticks will noticibly out perform 4 x 512 too !! you could however if the budget necassitates it - install 2 x 512 dual channel kit (matching sticks) then later upgrade to the 2 sticks of one gig each ram configuration then sell off the 2 x 512 to offset the costs ????? food for thought

as far a power supply >>>>> save yourself a ton of aggravation and get a good high quality one >>>> like Antec or Enermax you can get the Antec SP-500 now for about $68.00 thats an awesome deal on a high quality PSU dont waste yur money on a cheap generic PSU they generally burn out other devices when they crap out.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

BETTER = http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

regards

joe

I totally agree with everything in your post and i run 2x1GB of ram and i can say first hand that games like BF2 not only run smoother (zero stutters or lag) but also load 3x faster. I wouldn't recommend turning off the page file as it normally causes more problems than it's worth, but in theory you don't need page file with 2GB of ram. I only chose 2gigs because the next upgrade from a 512 stick is 1gig, if there was a 768MB stick i would've gone for that as i think 2 gigs is overkill but 1 gig is not quite enough on new games like BF2, F.E.A.R. etc. 1.5 gigs of ram would be perfect but it would mean no dual channel.
And just for your information, the Windows swap/page file is 1.5x the amount of installed ram, so 512mb of ram would mean a default Windows page file of 768.
As for the PSU, Antec would be a great choice and they are rock solid!

Here is a link about 1GB v's 2GB http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=463

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 21 December 2005 - 06:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users