Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arcsoft software cannot be removed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BOBwp

BOBwp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

I installed a CM-1310 Webcam from Hama and made the mistake of installing the software which came with it, just as described by the manual. This software came from Arcsoft and the operating system is Win XP (Home). Not only does the above Webcam not work, I have tried about 4 models and none works. (Previously I had a working system with one of these cameras (the kind with a small head for looking in small enclosures, and using Amcap software.) Worse, I now get an error message every few minutes telling me "Runtime error" and "abnormal program termination" along with identification of the program calling for opening of Visual C++ is part of the Arcsoft package which was delivered with the Hama camera. I ran the deinstall program on the CD ROM, several times, but this stuff still remains.
When I plug in a camera (including the Hama), XP recognizes a device had been connected and waves a flag and even tells me this device supports USB 2 and offers to install it, but XP is too dumb to realize the camera can handle the speed but the laptop cannot, by itself. I have a PCMCIA card which is able to process USB 2 but that brought no solution to failure to be able to use the cameras. When I turn on software for operating a camera I get a message no camera is connected, right after XP tells me it has seen the camera.
I wrote to Hama and they kindly advised me they tried to erase this same software package and had no trouble and that this camera contains a chip such that I can operate without any extra drivers (a possibility not mentioned in the tiny manual), why I wrote I wish I had known to ignore the instructions on how to install the Arcsoft software which seems mainly intended for modification of images, etc., and not the applications I need (recording microscope images at better resolution than a video camera at NTSC or PAL resolutions).
So,I have two problems, how to get rid of all residues of the Arcsoft package and especially those error messages (it seems as if the program is busily trying to open Visual C++, for whatever purpose needs that, and continues to do so even right after I try turning the software off.) I assume some of my resources are being wasted on these attempts, though the computer does still work, and how to get some proper camera (higher resolution and able to peek in trouble spots) functioning.
I tried going to the procedures for installing cameras and scanners but nothing except ancient models seem to be offered. This brought nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel much more skill is needed than my limited ability with software!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

Try doing a System Restore, choose a date prior to the installation and it should take your computer back to that point.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi -
If the System Restore is not suitable you can also try this -

Is the program listed in Add / Remove (Control Panrl) - If so then you can also use Revo Uninstaller (free) for this -
Simply Google "Revo Free" and there are several download areas -

#4 BOBwp

BOBwp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the tips. I have Revo Uninstaller on this machine but it has left the same (at least similar) residues trying to open C++ Runtime package. I guess the next step is then a System Restore. (Scares me a bit but I am still learning (until now I was not allowed to do much myself; all computing was in a location where only administrators had much access, keeping simple users dumb! The last time I commented on that the administrator told me I should accept not knowing and worrying about everything in life. I have read prisoners sometimes have trouble returning to normal life outside because they suddenly must be responsible for their own welfare.)

Thanks again.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

System Restore is quite safe and perfect for situations such as this one. If you choose a date prior to the installation of the program you wish to delete it will restore the computer to that point. It will not affect any other programs or data.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users