Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rundlg32.dll (active X)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

This little Active X Search Highjacker got into my sys. It sets up a search page-IWANTSEARCH.com--this I had never seen before. So, after getting rid of it--(HJT and delete), I wondered why Spyware Blaster didn't catch it. Then I realized I had't been updating this Active X stopper--so I did update--I noted for $9.95 they will set up an auto update. I am wondering how often do they update their defs? Also my XP-SP2 notified me that I had something bad in my MSIE setup--I had "allow non-signed Active X" enabled. If anyone has any info on this HJ-whether its new or I just stupidly let it in? Thanks :thumbsup: :flowers: .
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:42 AM

I have come to realize that this is a CWS variant--I welcome it to my computer. I did DL the newest MS Media Player-which I had thought was fixed to stop invasions--probably because of the wrong MSIE Security settings. :thumbsup:

Attached Files

EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

1. Disabling unsigned ActiveX controls is one of the recommended settings for IE. See footnote below.
2. Before running any kind of malware program, it is best to check for updates; most programs provide a tab or box you can click that will do this. If you get into the habit of manually checking, you can save yourself the money.
3. MS media player is just that; I didn't find any security options on the program.

Cheers,
John

(1) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

Edited by jgweed, 22 October 2004 - 04:43 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:52 PM

Thanks John--I thought I saw a hot fix for Win Media Player--but, when I saw it I didn't DL it--Maybe it was just the upgrade to Media Player 10, which I now have.
I have since gotten rid of the CWS som'bleep--as we used to "good training"-- :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users