Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Mac dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kat66

Kat66

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hi, I have a ten year old iMac which will not start up. When I turn the power on the power light blinks on and off and there are three very loud bleeping sounds but Mac does not start a all.
Think it may be corrupted RAM or something like that. Am I right? Would it be difficult and expensive to fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Yeah that sounds like a ram issue. Well for ram in an iMac I would assume that you would need to take it apart completely to get to the ram. I will try to find a link to a step by step guide but it may take me a while I'm have to step out for a while.

Edited by computerxpds, 28 February 2011 - 09:23 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'd first try removing and reseating the RAM then test then for any errors before doing anything else.

#4 ChoccyHobNob

ChoccyHobNob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yeah,
Three beeps is a RAM failure. No point trying to test your RAM, you won't be able to boot off the OS DVD as the RAM is fried.

10 years old so it's a G3.

G3 iMacs have a cover on the bottom that will let you get to the RAM. You will only need a coin to turn the cover to get it off. Get at the RAM, pop it out and reseat it, try to start up again. If it doesn't boot, try popping out one of the RAM strips and try again, if it still won't boot swap them over and try again.

Hopefully you will get the Mac to boot with a single strip of RAM, this will allow you to limp along until you can get another strip.

If you only have a single strip of RAM you are sol. Go and buy some more.

512MB of RAM for a G3 is cheap (about 15($20) or so) The G3 can take up to 1GB in 2x 512MB strips.

Pre 1999 G3's don't have the RAM cover, it's a pain to get at the RAM so you got lucky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users