Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware-I will look up the name after I have posted this and post it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jedsmith

jedsmith

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hello everyone,

So I just contracted some sort of malware infection on my computer and can not seem to get rid of it with some of the easy fixes I know. The name of the software it keeps prompting me to buy escapes me right now and I can not look up currently since I am in safemode. However, I will do so immediately after posting this and add it to the post.

I have access to the internet, and amazingly am not getting redirected from anything that I appear to use there. So far atleast. However, it will not let me open my documents saying that it can not find them. Also, whenever I try to start my SuperAntiSpyware, the system kicks in and says a threat has been detected. Safemode seems to be working really well for me so far, and I ran scans with SuperAntiSpyware and CCleaner, both of wich came up with problems wich I deleted, but the problem remains. If you have any other questions about my situation, please ask. Also, I skipped the GMER step because I have a 64 bit hard drive. Here are my DDS reports:

Ok, so the name of the system is System Tool. And a few other key notes that I forgot to mention: It changes my background everytime i log in to this blue screen with red and white letters on it saying something along the lines of "WARNING!!! yourre in danger! your computer is infected with spyware!" then says some threatening things about infections. Hope that this helps. THANKS!!!

Merged posts. ~ OB

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 February 2011 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

hi,

Your post is a few days old. If you still need help reply back.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 jedsmith

jedsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi shelf life,

I still have not gotten any help or changed any settings, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

ok. We can try this first. We will get malwarebytes, unless you already have it, and run it in safe mode. Download, install, update then boot into safe mode to run it:

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes to your desktop.

Scratch all that. you have malwarebytes.

We will get a couple downloads that will attempt to kill the process that wont let you do anything. If one is successful then you should be able to update then run malwarebytes. I am assuming that malwarebytes wont run for you because of the malware. Have you tried running malwarebytes in safe mode?

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop:

1) http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

2) http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

3) http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

4) http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.

* If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.

* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. After its finished try running Malwarebytes.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.

* If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links (3 and 4) until the tool runs.

You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.

Try that and see if it makes any progress on your situation.

Edited by shelf life, 07 March 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#5 jedsmith

jedsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

That seems to have gotten everything working actually. no sign of any malignant software, everything is running clean scans, and i have free range of all my documents. Thank you so much! This site is awesome!

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

ok good. Why dont you check malwarebytes for updates then do a full scan with it. You can also post a new DDS log for another look for any malware that might be hanging around.

#7 jedsmith

jedsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

Alright, I will do that. I will post another report this afternoon just to make sure its all cleared up.

#8 jedsmith

jedsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Here is the follow up report. Hope it all looks clear

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   15.99KB   2 downloads

#9 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

hi,

Looks good. we can call it quits. Some tips to help you remain malware free. Happy safe surfing.

10 Tips for Prevention and Avoidance of Malware:

There is no reason why your computer can not stay malware free.

No software can think for you. Help yourself. In no special order:

1) It is essential to keep your operating system (Windows) browser (IE, FireFox, Chrome, Opera) and other software up to date to "patch" vulnerabilities that could be exploited. Visit Windows Update frequently or use the Windows auto-update feature. Staying updated is also essential for other web based applications like Java, Adobe Flash/Reader, iTunes etc. More and more third party applications are being targeted. Use the auto-update features available in most software. Not sure if you are using the latest version of software? Check their version status and get the updates here.

2) Know what you are installing to your computer. Alot of software can come bundled with unwanted add-ons, like adware, toolbars and malware. More and more legitimate software is installing useless toolbars if not unchecked first. Do not install any files from ads, popups or random links. Do not fall for fake warnings about virus and trojans being found on your computer and you are then prompted to install software to remedy this. See also the signs that you may have malware on your computer.

3) Install and keep updated: one antivirus and two or three anti-malware applications. If not updated they will soon be worthless. If either of these frequently find malware then its time to *review your computer habits*.

4) Refrain from clicking on links or attachments via E-Mail, IM, IRC, Chat Rooms, Blogs or Social Networking Sites, no matter how tempting or legitimate the message may seem. See also E-mail phishing Tricks.

5) Do not click on ads/pop ups or offers from websites requesting that you need to install software to your computer--*for any reason*. Use the Alt+F4 keys to close the window.

6) Don't click on offers to "scan" your computer. Install ActiveX Objects with care. Do you trust the website to install components?

7) Consider the use of limited (non-privileged) accounts for everyday use, rather than administrator accounts. Limited accounts can help prevent *malware from installing and lessen its potential impact.* This is exactly what user account control (UAC) in Windows Vista and Windows 7 attempts to address.

8) Install and understand the *limitations* of a software firewall.

9)A slide show how to for securing Internet Explorer 8.0 for safer surfing. How to harden FireFox for safer surfing.

10) Warez, cracks etc are very popular for carrying malware payloads. If you download/install files via p2p networks you will encounter malware. Malware can be named anything, be nothing but malware or have malware bundled in it. Can you really trust the source of the file?

More info/tips with pictures, links below
Happy Safe Surfing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users