Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Programs Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:51 AM

My mom's friend gave me a laptop to look it. It has Windows Vista Home Premium. At first her problem was that she forgot her password but I was able to reset it for her.

However some of the Windows programs will not load. If I attempt to open Windows Update, nothing will happen. If I try to open the Control Panel, either nothing happens or it loads but with no icons displayed. I thought there may have been a virus or spyware associated with this so I ran Malwarebytes and Spybot. Both of them found a handful amount of spyware and all of it was removed, but that did not solve any problems.

Another thing that wont open is the System Properties, where you right click My Computer and click Properties.

If I go into Safe Mode, I can open the Control Panel and access the Control Panel items AND I can access System Properties, but I am still unable to get to Windows Update.

From what I've read it could be that a vast majority of the system files are just bad. I don't have a Vista CD to get a fresh set of system files but I will ask my mom's friend next time she's over.

I am downloading Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 onto my flash drive to see if installing them manually will help. Don't those usually replace system files? I thought the XP Service Packs did, but I haven't really dealt with installing Services Packs for Vista/7.

I can also connect to the Internet with the computer, but I don't know if that's any use right now.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

Ok, I ran an sfc /scannow and got the result "Windows found corrupted files but was unable to fix some of them."

I have the sfc log with me right now but since the file is 14MB big I don't know what portion of the log to post here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

Do not post that log :).

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

It's a Sony VAIO, model VGN-NS11DE

I found a system restore point on the laptop dating back to December so I tried reverting back to the restore point, but it didn't help out, so I'm rescanning everything at the moment.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I know this seems too easy...but has anyone gone to the "friend" who provided this system...and indquired about previous problems with the system?

When I give systems away...I take great care to see that they have a clean install of the O/S...and that everything works properly. Malware is not a consideration.

I don't expect those standards of others who part with systems they have used...so the first thing I would suggest...do a clean install on that system.

It might save some time and frustration.

Louis

#6 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

I want to reinstall Windows and just give her a fresh installation, but I don't have a CD from her. I'll ask about it next time.

I ran another sfc after the system restore and it also told me that it fixed some of the corrupted files, but I have not noticed any difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users