Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ptflyz

ptflyz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

I took the HD from my old computer (Windows ME) that died and tried to install it as a slave on my new computer (Windows XP) in order to retrieve the data from it, and eventually to use it as a back up. I set the jumpers and connected it. Windows instantly recognized it, and installed it. Under Device Manager it lists it, and says it is working correctly. However, I'm unable to access it through My Computer. In My Computer it only shows the master. Did I do something wrong, and if so how do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:20 AM

does you newly installed slave drive appear in the disk managment console ????

right click on my computer >>> select manage from the upper menu / then click on disk management from the left side of the console that pops up / in the right pane do you see your slave drive ???? in the right pane right click on your slave drive and select propoerties >>>> how does it describe your drive ???? hopefully not RAW or "unallocated"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

The problem maybe XP is setup to see and use NTFS, and ME only uses FAT32 file format. XP can handle FAT32, but I believe it has to be formatted at installation to use FAT32.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users