Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan horse on windows xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the_spoofer

the_spoofer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

So the other night I was trolling around on the net when I accidentally opened and downloaded what I believe is a trojan horse. When restarting my computer, it had taken over everything and changed my desktop picture to some warning in bad English (I was told by a friend that this virus was a Ukrainian virus). It tried to sell me fake anti-virus sofware. Anyways my friend got me back into Windows on safe mode and that's where I'm at now. I've quarantined what I believe MAY be the virus but I can't get back into Windows normally, it's stuck on safe mode. My friend quit on me too and I have no idea how to get out of safe mode - some friend, eh? Anyways, I need some help here. I would appreciate any. Thank you,

- Boy without computer

PS: My iTunes is everything to me and all of my music is on it. If I can't save the computer, please help me save my iTunes.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hi,
Two things could be happening here. One is that your computer is just being stubborn, and two, the trojan is blocking your access back into Windows using normal boot procedures. One way to allow you back out of safe mode is to use another computer to download Super antispyware free edition, then use a flash drive to transfer the file over to the infected computer, run a full scan, and then you'll be asked to reboot anyway with the malware removed as well. Upon getting back in, download malwarebytes Antimalware, allow the program to update itself, then run a full scan with that as well. Post both logs for us to review. Hope this helps.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 Jamiemcg

Jamiemcg

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

Like Chromebuster said, your computer may just be giving you a hard time, or this may be caused by the trojan horse that your computer is infected with.

Assuming that this problem is being caused by the trojan horse, I'd suggest that you run both an antivirus scan and an antispyware or antimalware scan, in order to try and remove it so that things can be back to normal again.

The antispyware program that Chromebuster suggested, SuperAntispyware, can be downloaded from the link below for free and may be able to remove this trojan horse.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you need a free antivirus program, I would recommend that you try using Microsoft Security Essentials, which was created by Microsoft, and can be downloaded from the link below.

http://Microsoft.com/Security_Essentials

Just so you know, I wouldn't suggest that you have more than one antivirus program installed on your computer at the same time, as they may end up conflicting with each other if you do, so if you're going to install Microsoft Security Essentials, I would suggest that you uninstall any other antivirus programs that may already be installed on your computer.

It is alright, however, to have both an antivirus program and antispyware program installed on your computer at the same time and they shouldn't conflict or cause any other problems.

Also, perhaps you should consider downloading and using either Mozilla FireFox or Google Chrome, both of which are free browsers that are safer than Internet Explorer and can also be customized with a variety of free add-ons and themes.

http://Mozilla.com

http://Google.com/chrome

Good luck and I hope I helped you!

#4 lolog88

lolog88

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

you can try download this link

Link removed
Mod edit: Please do not insert blind links.

rigel
BC Moderator

Edited by rigel, 28 February 2011 - 10:36 PM.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

Ignore that last post, guys. It looks like a click revenue link. Or even worse, you might get another trojan by clicking on it. Sorry that I couldn't post the appropriate links up there. Those links should bring you to the most current versions of both MBAM and SAS.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users