Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network connection gets dropped every so often

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

I have this setup at home: The modem is upstairs and is connected to the wall and a Belkin Wireless-G adapter. I have three computers at home, one desktop and two laptops. All are wireless, the desktop is upstairs and has a wireless adapter. The laptops are downstairs.

Every so often the wireless connection just gets dropped and none of the computers can connect wirelessly to the internet. Is it possible that the range of the wireless G adapter is not that wide and switching to a wireless N adapter will increase the range and thereby eliminate the problem? The distance from the room with the router to the room with the laptop downstairs is maybe 25 feet.

Also how do I determine which channel to use

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

would you show a screen shot of xirrus
also when its working from one of the PCs show the following information and then repeat all the tests when it disconnects

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, have a read here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14738.html

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

{Ping Tests}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
ETAF

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

A little confused here...How do you have a wireless adapter hooked to your router? Or is the router actually wireless?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

The router is wireless, when I say hooked to I mean connected wirelessly to, sorry for the confusing words

etaf:

That program xirrus, is it free? And should I run all the tests you said when that computer can connect to the internet or not?

#5 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

That program xirrus, is it free? And should I run all the tests you said when that computer can connect to the internet or not?

yes its free and will provide information about your wireless environment
and yes pleas all tests when working - and confirm you can run and post here - and then repeat all on disconnection
ETAF

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Dropped connections are not usually due to range. More likely there is some form of interference that is causing the interruptions. Make sure all other wireless devices not on the network such as phones are located away from the router as this can cause interference. Microwaves and other such devices that work using radio waves can also cause interference with wireless.

Changing the adapters to N would not help either unless you replaced the router as well. Again doesn't sound like a range problem if you can connect most of the time but it occasionally drops the signal.

Any channel will work but all of your devices need to point to the same channel. Having different channels is a way to reduce interference. When there are multiple signals present they can be placed on different channels to accomplish this.
Mark Twain

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Baltboy,

Thats what I thought initially, that use a diffent channel for each device. But with microwaves, and cellphones, other wireless networks, how is it possible to know what channel to use?

etaf aka fate (thought i wouldnt get that didnt you :)

Ill run those tests and post them here

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

The channels only affect devices that use the same band (i.e. other routers or wireless cards on the same frequency). That way you can use a different channel to not conflict with say the guys wireless network in the apartment below you.

Things like microwaves, cell phones, and cordless phones typically use a different frequency but having them in proximity to the router or computer can still cause interference. Have you noticed any pattern to the time of day and loss of connection or does it seem to be random? When the loss of connection to the internet happens can you still ping the default gateway?
Mark Twain

#9 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

No when I lose connectivity, I cant ping either. And about the channel thing, I guess you can find the best channel only by trial and error. Anyway, I switched the belkin g router with a linksys N router and thus far I havent experienced any network connections

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

yes its free and will provide information about your wireless environment
and yes pleas all tests when working - and confirm you can run and post here - and then repeat all on disconnection

Thanks for the Xirrus link. A useful, and fun, little toy.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users