Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create MSI installer from CAB

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 boblc123

boblc123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

OK, So here's my situation. My organization uses a web based software which requires an Active X install. Our users are not Admins on their machines and do not have permission to install Active X. We have over 500 PCs so manually installing Active X on each one is not really feasible.

I have the .cab file that that contains the ocx, ini, and dll file. I'd like to convert this cab file into a .msi file so that I can pull down the install to each PC through Group Policy.

I've found instructions for doing so online but I am not a programmer, I'm a network admin and do not have enough knowledge of Visual Studio to follow the instructions..

Could anyone give me detailed instructions on how to convert this .cab file into an .msi file using Visual Studio 2008?

Note: I tried just copying the ocx, ini, and dll to the C:/Windows/Downloaded Program Files folder and registering them via regsvr32 but this still doesn't work. When visiting the webpage, it still prompts for the Active X install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users