Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Onecare Safety Scanner!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hello!!
Not sure where to post this, but it can be moved if it needs to be.
I discovered this by accident, and I haven't seen any thing about this on this or other forums. I ran this software on my XP3 PC. My C Drive showed 15 GB of used space before I ran this, and 9.6 after. I can't believe that much crap was removed because I thought I keep a clean PC.
My PC seems to be a little faster and every thing is working just fine with 6 GB less crap.
I'm trying to find out if this is new or has it been around, and is it still being supported by Microsoft.. I'm wondering why I haven't heard of this before.
I have used ESET and other scanners ,but I never got these kind of results.
I would really appreciate any feed back I can get about this software!!
Thank you!!
Gary
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Here's some information I found on the web.
It seems to me Microsoft still supports this software.
I used it and I'm very satisfied with the program.
My C Drive has 6GB less crap on it and my PC is faster!

however, Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner, under the same branding as Windows Live OneCare, has not been discontinued.
Contents

* 1 Overview
* 2 Limits
* 3 Vista beta problems
* 4 See also
* 5 References
* 6 External links

[edit] Overview

Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner offers a free online scanning and protection from threats. The Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner must be downloaded and installed to your computer to scan your computer. The "Full Service Scan" looks for common PC health issues such as viruses, temporary files, and open network ports. It searches and removes viruses, improves a computer's performance, and removes unnecessary clutter on the PC's hard disk. The user can choose between a "Full Scan" (which can be customized) or a "Quick Scan".

The "Full Scan" scans for viruses (comprehensive scan or quick scan), hard disk performance (Disk fragmentation scan and/or Desk cleanup scan) and network safety (open port scan). The "Quick Scan" only scans for viruses, only on specific areas on the computer. The quick scan is faster than the full scan, hence that appellation.[2]

The service also provides a virus database, information about online threats, and general computer security documentation and tools.
[edit] Limits

The virus scanner on the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner site runs a scan of the user's computer only when the site is visited. It does not run periodic scans of the system, and does not provide features to prevent viruses from infecting the computer at the time, or thereafter. It simply resolves detected infections.
[edit]

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

The Safety Scanner will remove unneeded, junk and temp files that have collected on a machine. If you never run Disk Cleanup or a similar third-party utility, these files can take up a significant amount of space over time. I have not seen the amount you say was removed but I have seen it very high.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

The Safety Scanner will remove unneeded, junk and temp files that have collected on a machine. If you never run Disk Cleanup or a similar third-party utility, these files can take up a significant amount of space over time. I have not seen the amount you say was removed but I have seen it very high.

Hello my friend!!
Thank you for your reply!
I have ran RegSeeker and CCleaner Registry cleaner many times , but they never cleaned like this program.
I checked my C drive before running The Safety Scanner. It showed 15.3 GB used space before and 9.65 after. I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought I had a clean PC. It seems to be faster now.
May I ask you sir what you think of The Safety Scanner??
Your opinion would mean a lot to my confidence in the program.
I know just enough about puters to get me in trouble.
I do have my PC backed up with Macrium Reflect on a secondary drive and also a external USB (Seagate solid state)
I make a back up image of my OS a least once a month with Macrium.
I run XP3. I have a 6 year old Dell 3000. It runs really well and I try to keep it tuned up.
I have restored my OS with Macrium before, and it worked really well. I would have never tried The safety scanner if I didn't have my OS backed up. Even though I enjoy new things, I'm pretty cautious even though I know I can recover from almost any thing.
I really appreciate your reply sir. Can you give me a thumbs up or down on The Safety Scanner. I would like to suggest it to friends if I think it's safe. Your opinion would mean a lot to me.
garybear

#5 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

quiteman!!
Hello friend!!
I have found a little more information about this software.
It seems it was Beta but now released. I'm not sure when.
I'm attaching another link about it. I haven't been able to learn much, and there aren't many reviews out there.
I'm not a big Microsoft supporter, but this looks promising. So far I haven't experienced any problems with the program.
It seems to me to work on XP and Vista, but not Windows 7?????

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/84425.aspx?p=2

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

I have ran RegSeeker and CCleaner Registry cleaner many times

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

:step2: Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

:step4: Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

:step5: The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

May I ask you sir what you think of The Safety Scanner??

I have never used it but I read the same link you provided and still would not recommend the registry cleaning for the reasons already cited above.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

I have never used it but I read the same link you provided and still would not recommend the registry cleaning for the reasons already cited above.

Thank you sir for your reply!!
Sense I always have a back up image of my OS, the registry does not scare me. I can restore my OS to a cold HD, if I need to. I have done that. If my PC failed to boot, I would use my rescue CD to boot into Macrium Reflect and restore my OS.
There are many discussions about cleaning the registry, and many opinions if it helps keeping your PC running better. I do not wish to argue that issue with you.
If you don't know how to recover from editing the registry, you best leave it alone.
Even ERUNT can't save you if you can't boot up.
I find it strange that Microsoft has a registry cleaner in this software program.
I posted here because I wanted the opinion of people like yourself.
I was hoping for assurance that the program was safe, but fully understand why you can not give me that.
I hope members and quests will learn from this topic and they can decide if they want to use this program.
You have been very kind sir and I appreciate and respect your reply's to this topic.
The program freed up nearly 6 GB of disk space for me, and I have found only good results at this time. I didn't need the space, but really think it helped my PC run better.
I would say that it's probably not for everyone.
If it is a good program Uncle Bill will stop supporting it before long :thumbup2:
I really appreciate you my friend. Thank you for your reply's. If you hear any thing, please let me know.
Thank you sir!!
garybear

#8 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hello!! FYI!!
I just used this software, and only used the registry cleaner feature. It found O registry errors and only cleaned 8110.7MB Temps. I then used the Virus and Malware feature. It found 0 infections. The program told me I had 0 open ports, and gave me a congratulations.
If it weren't so difficult to attach screen shots, I would attach a couple.
I don't know if this software is any good. This is what I observed. You will have to decide for your self if it's any good. It's freeware and I have tested it the best I know how.
If you trust Uncle Bill, give it a shot. Just make sure you back up your OS or a least your registry with ERUNT!!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

Just make sure you back up your OS or a least your registry with ERUNT

That's always good advice.