Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Continuously Restarts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 skeeve

skeeve

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I appreciate all the help I can get on this. My wife's computer will not complete the boot process, rather it continuously reboots. First I will give a little background as to what preceded this troublesome situation. I was installing Norton 360. However, I had Microsoft one care installed. Norton requested I uninstall One Care. I complied. After uninstalling Onecare, Norton installed itself. Upon completion and updating it, I received two messages. File protective service reported that some Microsoft files were not recognized etc. It wanted me to insert my original XP disk. I also got a message from Norton saying it wanted to restart to complete the removal of something. I made a choice (probably the wrong one) to restart. This left me with a continuously rebooting computer. I am not sure if it is because of a virus or because of the file protective service issue. I would appreciate any help.
Here is what I have done so far:
1) I tried loading in Safemode. It would not load, after the list of drivers, it just restarted.
2) I tried the option of loading the last known configuration that worked. This did not solve it.
3) I disabled the auto restart upon error. It simply resulted in a black screen that remained.
4) After step 3, I retried running in Safe Mode. This time I received the blue screen with the following error:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

Thank you so much for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hello, do you have your XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Yes I do have the XP CD on hand. Thank you for responding. I appreciate your help.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

What service pack do you have on your computer and what service pack is included on the CD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hmm. I have Service pack 2 on the XP CD. I believe it is only service pack 2 on the computer, but I am not 100% certain.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type cd servicepackfiles and press enter.

Only if the prompt changes to c:\windows\servicepackfiles, continue. Otherwise (file/folder/path not found error), post back here.

Type the following lines and press enter after each line.

copy i386\winlogon.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

copy i386\explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.exe

If asked to overwrite existing file, please type Y.

Type EXIT and press enter to reboot and let me know what happens now.

regards, Elise

#7 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

Hi Elise,

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I followed the directions. First off, one odd thing occurred. After I went into the Setup and changed the boot order, then I saved and exited. It hung. I shut the computer and restarted and I received an error stating that overclocking failed please enter setup to reconfigure. I reentered the bios, I changed the boot order back. Then I just pressed f8 when it turned on again, this gave me a choice to boot from disk and then I was able to enter the windows on the XP disk. Just thought I would mention that.

Next issue. I followed each step. I was able to change the directory to c:\windows\servicepackfiles. However, when I typed the copy command (copy i386\winlogon.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe) it reported that the file could not be found. I did a "Dir" command. This reported that there was a sub directory of "servicepackcache" . Upon changing to that subdirectory, there is a subdirectory "I386". Upon changing to that subdirectory there is only one file "msrdp.cab". So the files winlogon and explorer do not seem to be there.

So, now what? B)

Thanks,

Daniel

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Do you have another XP SP3 computer that you can use to copy some files from?

regards, Elise

#9 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hmm, I am curious, How are you able to determine that it is up to service pack three?
I will check at work for a computer with SP3. What files do I need to copy? What kind of media (CD,DVD, USB Thumb drive)should I be copying it to? Then, where on the computer should I copy the files to?

Thanks,

Daniel

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

The Servicepackfile directory is usually created by the Service Pack 3 installation and contains a spare copy of most files.

On your clean computer, locate c:\windows\explorer.exe and right click on the file. Select Copy.
Then navigate to a flashdrive and right click in an empty space, select Paste. Make sure you do not paste the file into a folder, but rather in the root of the flash drive.

Do the same for c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

You should now have a flashdrive with winlogon.exe and explorer.exe

Plug your flashdrive into the non-booting computer. Boot in the Recovery console (using the CD), type map and press enter. Note down the drive letter from your flashdrive.

Type the following commands (if your flashdrive is not E:\, replace that with the correct drive letter in the commands below). Press enter after each line. If asked to overwrite, type Y.

copy e:\explorer.exe explorer.exe

cd system32

copy e:\winlogon.exe winlogon.exe

exit

regards, Elise

#11 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

But how do you know it is not just SP2?

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

Because Service Pack 2 doesn't create the Servicepackfiles folder in Windows.

regards, Elise

#13 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Excellent deduction! :thumbsup:

Would that subdirectory be created if you only installed parts of SP3, like the instant search and such? or only when you fully install the entire SP3?

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by skeeve, 03 March 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

It is possible, I never tried it, but what I can say is that its definitely not recommended to do that.

regards, Elise

#15 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Well, I just hope I really have SP3 fully installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users