Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hi guys.

Now I've been using Outlook Express on all previous versions of Windows without any problems. Mircosoft in their stupid wisdom don't make Outlook Express for Vista they use Windows Mail which is crap.

I've used Office 2003 for a number of years no problems so I decided to install Outlook 2003. When you run it for the first time you have to setup the mail account. I keep all the settings used on Outlook Express and I just paste them in. I click Check Name and it locks up without any errors. I End Task it and try again and it says start Outlook in Safe Mode, ok and it locks up again. I've Googled for this problem and one site says

1. Exit Outlook.

Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, or Windows 7

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Forms

3. Delete the Frmcache.dat file.

4. Start Outlook.

I deleted this file and tried it again but it stops responding everytime.

I've used Control Panel - Mail and create a new account but it still lock up. This Outlook is just for my laptop as my desktop WinXP uses Outlook Express and it still works perfect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Check names button is only for Exchange Connection set ups. If you using just regular POP/IMAP then dont use the Checknames, as it will perform a LDAP Query and time out due to there not being an active Domain or Exchange Server setup.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I used the default Microsoft Exchanger Server then I remember it was POP on Express so I used POP/SMTP but it still locks up in Safe Mode.

I tried to remove the Microsoft Exchanger Server connection after I setup the POP/SMTP but it wouldn't let me. I just tried it again and it deleted now Outlook opens up. I shall just have to try and import my emails from Outlook Express but it says there are in use when they aren't. I shall have to play around with the settings again.

Edited by Keithuk, 27 February 2011 - 07:00 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users