Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Layered Window

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luckyducky

luckyducky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

Starting December 16 this year, I have gotten a small window "Ending Program-Hidden Layered Window" every time I shut down the computer. Two days prior to this, on the 14th, I updated Sun Java, and did the current Windows Updates and restarted the computer. I am using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 and
IE 6. My computer has become extremely slow to connect with links. Can anyone explain what this Hidden Layered Window is, why it suddenly started appearing when I close the computer and if it's a necessary item for Windows to function?

Thank you,
luckyducky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

See if this helps:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

#3 todge

todge

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

What is wrong with you bleepers ? !
Just give the guy a straight answer !!!
Is it a problem?,Virus? or harmless?
Stop bleeping about with---try this link-- link leads to an obscure in depth bleeping lecture about bleep !!
because of people like you.. "noobs" spend bleeping days (never mind hours) looking for a simple answer.
If you know how to help the guy fix his problem...JUST bleepING TELL HIM HOW !!!!!
Pricks!!!

In case anyone else turns up here looking for information on "Layered Hidden Windows" I thought that I would just point out that these are not necessarily sinister or evidence of a malicious infection. If an application generates a secondary window (as many will do) and the application itself is then minimized by the user to the task bar, the secondary window is hidden by the OS (i.e., it is not closed, but it is invisible on the desktop). If the hidden secondary window is busy performing some function or waiting for some user input and the computer is shut down then it can be difficult or impossible for the OS to close it automatically (it shouldn't be, of course, but in this world, and at Redmond in particular, who expects perfect programming?). Hence the "This program is not responding ..." message. (Incidentally, "Layered" usually means that the window is dressed up with some fancy graphics.)

So, you can try to identify the offending application by terminating (rather than closing) each running program individually before shutting down the computer. If you successfully terminate all listed (and legitimate) applications, but still get the message at shutdown, then you can start to worry about more sinister possibilities

Edited by todge, 02 January 2006 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users