Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external Dual Hard Drive Mania

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 etherdose

etherdose

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

I went out and got a double hard drive fan cooled enclosure for two Sata drives (one 700 gig and one Tera) I put them in the same drive enclosure, as it is built for two and started them up. I formatted them as one drive, not two. I was using them off and on for 1 month, and when I am done storing something on them, I turn them right off to save electricity and to elongate their lifespan......so I thought. One day I sit down and turn it on and it wants me to format the disk. It isn't seeing the 700gig anymore, but the 1 terebyte drive. I had TONS of important stuff backed up on there. Any way I can get the data back? Is the 700 gig drive dead? HELP! lol

Thanks.
...the world is a stage...we the players and the dreamers....the creators of the script in the play we call life. Where are you on my stage? I am I.....you are you, but what are we?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etherdose

etherdose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

*bump* next day
...the world is a stage...we the players and the dreamers....the creators of the script in the play we call life. Where are you on my stage? I am I.....you are you, but what are we?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Who can say?

Remove the drives from the enclosure...attach each one at a time to a working system...and see if you can read any data on either/both.

Every user who goes to a USB enclosure...just increases the possibly items which can go wrong...with no return that I can see, other than the fact that the drive more easily moved from one system to another.

Your enclosure, your USB ports, the drives themselves...those are the obvious suspects. You can eliminate 2 in one step by removing the drives and attaching each directly to the motherboard of a working system.

Louis

FWIW: The file system could also be troubled...the drive itself may be good. But since the file system is what allows Windows to detect the drive...the result would be inability to read any data on the file system.

Just thought of this...if you formatted the two drives to appear as one...and Windows only reflects 1 700GB drive...all is as it should be, IMO. I'm not sure why you did that...but my suggestion for determining if each drive works properly still goes.

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

You might take a look at http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47115 and other such references on RAID configurations.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users