Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy/play/save .wmf

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Presario I386 desktop
32.5gb HD
192mb RAM
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
cd/rw ST340015A

hi bc,

i dl'd a .wmf from a web site and saved it to "my music" folder, c:/doccuments/my music.

i wanted to share it with a friend. i copied it to cd. just to make sure it went ok, i tried to viewed the file on the cd.

wmplayer plays it but half way through it the file freezes. so i tried to dl it from the cd back to a new folder on my pc.

but i get a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)". and i can't view from cd.

whats this mean? am i doing something wrong?

ty,
igo

Edited by igonuts2, 19 December 2005 - 11:17 PM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

hi,
if i "move this file", "copy/paste", or "send to..." E:\ (cd drive)", a popup says, some content will be lost but file will be intact. to ensure it can be read, i go to E drive and dbl click on the file, and WMPlayer plays it to half way and then freezes. furthermore, i copy the file from cd back to c:\my videos, and it's unplayable. and the size of the file is reduced.

when i do the proccess differently, like,

nav to E:\ through windows explorer, open it and drag and drop the video from desktop to E:\ drive folder, i get the same popup but, after the task is done i see the size of the file remained unchainged. and is viewable from the cd. unlike the proccess above.

while i no loger have the immidiate problem, i'm curious as to whats going on. i read the tutorials at bc. i'm not sure an encription program is involved. or have i unwitingly side stepped it.

it's one of those videos from http://www.killsometime.com/Video/Videos.asp.

i did some looking but i just now googled "cyclic redundancy check". should have done this first.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

odd though, the same cd was used for all the attempts.

igo

Edited by igonuts2, 20 December 2005 - 11:38 PM.

Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users