Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lap top issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 solarguy

solarguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

My DSL providers rep suggested this site as my wi fi connection will not connect. It shows as working properly on computer masnagement.
This is my first lap top (used) and the ISP module has been verified by the provider. What ever I do the screen says "no connection" I can connect with ethernet cable and everything works ok but not as a wi fi connection.
anyone with any thoughts??
Distance from lap top to module is only about 16 ft.
Also the DVD/CD drive works well with a CD but will not play a DVD??

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2011 - 02:22 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

What operating system?

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Any yellow or red markings by Network Adapters?

Any by DVD/CD Drives?

Louis

#3 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

This is going to sound like a silly question but its always better to ask than assume. (these will focus on the Wireless)

A ) Do you have a wireless router or is there a wireless component built into the DSL box provided by your ISP (the DSL company providing you internet)

B ) Do you have any other computers in the house, and are they wireless or physically plugged in? If yes, are they able to connect to wireless / internet?

C ) Have you tested the wireless on the laptop? Have you taken it anywhere else like a coffee shop or some place with wifi and tried to connect there and where you able to get it working?

D ) When searching for the wireless are you using the brand name software that came with the laptop (dell/hp/..whatever), are you using Windows built in wireless software, or is this an external wireless device you're using to connect?

E ) If this is an external wireless device, please let us know the brand name... If this is a phone card type ie Verizon, ATT, Sprint, Tmobile then it will not be able to pick up the type of wireless you're looking for.

Edited by Crazy49er, 28 February 2011 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users