Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

I use Trend Micro PC-cillin on my new notebook computer which I have only had for a week. Also use Ad-aware and Spybot to control spyware. Decided to run a free online anti-virus scan at PandaSoft. Results.... Adware: oemil and viurs: Tri/Mitglieder.EW., which it could not remove. A system scan with PC-cillin did not pick it up. After researching the virus online and looking for ways to remove it, I could not find any of the files associated with it on my computer!! None of the associated registry entries either. What do you make of this?? Is my computer infected or is Pandasoft trying to sell their software with a trick??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

It could just be a false positive. All AV vendors suffer from them, try rescanning your system again with Panda and see what it finds.

Find the suspect file and then scan it at jotti and Virus Total which use multiple AV scan engines, to confirm if its infected or clean.

You may also want to scan using the one of the following in safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

or

KASFX which is powered by the Kaspersky AV engine, you will need internet access to update it. If you haven't got net access in safe mode, update it before you use it.

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log to the HJT Forum.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Edited by stidyup, 20 December 2005 - 03:33 AM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:08 AM

If you feel you are infected you could try one of the other AV programs. here are aeveral free full featured antivirus programs. Make sure and only run one AV at a time. They don't play nice togther and may conflict if ran on the same machine at the same time. I have also icluded several online scanners and removal tools.
Hope this is of some help.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools