Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

List of helpful Apps for mac users.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Well After reading through the many topics in the mac os forum here, I decided to take some of the best apps that were recommended by me and some of the other members such as buddyme2 and altair as well as davidanders(hope i spelled it right) and make a list of them to make it easier for members to find and use as well as to reference when we are troubleshooting an issue in this forum. Thanks to buddyme2 and others for suggesting some great apps keep the suggestions coming!

A. List of Maintenance apps:

-These Apps will help with maintaing your mac and keeping it running well.

1. AppleJack- The best monthly mac maintenance utility best of all its free and we recommend you run it monthly.
2. DiskWarrior- A wonderful disk utility that can recover and repair a corrupt mac os x operating system. Not free but it is worth the money.
3. Superduper- For backing up your Hard drive.
4. AppFresh- Use to keep apps updated.

B. List of recommended freeware apps

-These are apps that most of us mac users could not live without.

1. VLC- This app is a great app to have because it plays just about every video and audio format that has ever been created.
2. Flip4Mac- Enables playing of wmv videos in quicktime!
3. Perian- "Perian is a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats."
4. Monolingual- Use this great app to gain some disk space back, this app regains hard drive space by removing un-needed language files.
5. The Unarchiver- unarchives
6. AdiumX- Chat Client
7. Disk Inventory X
8. EasyFind
9. coconutBattery

C. List of Freeware apps that are great for replacing paid for apps.

1. Open Office- Replaces Microsoft office wonderfully.
2. NeoOffice- Is similar to Open Office.

List will be updated when new apps are recommended to me by other members.

EDIT: Updated list for original topic poster due to forum edit limitations. ~ Animal 3-19-11

Edited by Animal, 19 March 2011 - 02:34 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Will be updated soon with a new compilation for some virus scanners (if approved by other members of the forum) There might only be one anyway. I will also make it look a bit more organized as it seems to be a bit well all over the place to say the least. lol Please PM me with any other suggestions that you may have Please help to make this list nice and informative! :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

The Applejack link is dead.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

The Applejack link is dead.

It worked fine for me.

#5 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

hmmm, I tried it again & it froze, saying "Loading...completed 8 of 9 items". Wonder why?

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

I will fix it in the next update to make it go to the project page which is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/

sigcomp.png 

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

hmmm, I tried it again & it froze, saying "Loading...completed 8 of 9 items". Wonder why?

There must be something wrong on their end cause it doesn't load for me anymore.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I think sourceforge changed its url system so now that link isnt working like i said I will fix it when I update this. :) Just use the link i posted, it was a good thing you brought it up to because I forgot to install it on my new mac lol! :)

sigcomp.png 

#9 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Here's some great productivity apps, if you're interested.

Free apps:
Quicksilver is awesomeness; app launcher and much much more.

Also love SecondBar, but development seems to have stopped. It puts a menu bar on your second monitor.

Google Quick Search Box is a decent Quicksilver replacement that is a bit more basic.

CapSee is good as well. Just an onscreen popup for when you hit the caps lock key--which if you're anything like me, is quite often.

Paid app:
Total Finder. Puts tabs in your finder. $15, and worth every penny.

Sorry if any of these were already mentioned, I don't have time to read the whole thread (slackin' at work).

#10 ok computer

ok computer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Are there any (free?) apps that will allow me to read or store files from an external disk that is formatted for a Mac on a PC? My daughter has a Macbook and has stored all of her photos and other files on a Western Digital external drive. The drive recently crashed. She knows that I am good at restoring "lost" data from HDD crashes, both software and hardware related, but I'm not sure If I can work in my familiar Windows 7 environment on a disk that is formatted for a Mac. Does it make a difference with an external disk? Is there such an application?

It's amazing how little I know about Macs. Any advice/resources are greatly appreciated.

#11 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

HFSExplorer can help you with that.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#12 ok computer

ok computer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

HFSExplorer can help you with that.

Excellent - thank you! She'll bring the drive from Texas when she visits in two weeks - I'll try it then.

Edited by ok computer, 27 June 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#13 gekkoe

gekkoe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

I would recommend now using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice or NeoOffice. It's a recent fork of the OpenOffice project due to poor handling of the code base by Oracle.

#14 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

What about cleanmymac? It is the best cleaner I've used on my Mac.

#15 gixxer1300r

gixxer1300r

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Transmission is a great bare bones P2P client with regular updates. I have been using it for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users