Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark2001ab

Mark2001ab

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

I have a netbook that got infect with the System tools virus, I successfully followed the instructions to remove it down to the part where I need to replace the host file in C:windows\system32\drivers\etc menu, at this point it tells me I do not have Administrator rights. i have activated the administrator but don't know the password to access administrator as a user, it appears this may have been set up by the shop and being a netbook I don't have a CD drive to use a password cracking tool. can anyone help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

You would need to contact the shop that installed the password if it is required. It is against forum rules for me to assist you in 'cracking' a password. You would need help from a Bleeping Computer 'Moderator' or 'Administrator'.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Zuhl3156,

The staff here at BC recently made the decision to allow suggesting the use of password recovery programs on a discretionary basis. All a member has to do is a simple Google to obtain this information anyway. If you have any questions regarding this feel free to PM a moderator for clarification.

Mark2001ab,

This site has a list of options that may be of interest to you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Download the HostsXpert 4.3 - Hosts File Manager.
  • Unzip HostsXpert 4.3 - Hosts File Manager to a convenient folder such as C:\HostsXpert
  • Right click (run as Administrator) HostsXpert.exe to Run HostsXpert 4.3 - Hosts File Manager from its new home
  • Click "Make Hosts Writable?" in the upper right corner (If available).
  • Click Restore Microsoft's Hosts file and then click OK.
  • Click the X to exit the program.
  • Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

You could try this Registry hack to 'Take Ownership' of the file you're trying to replace or modify. I've used it to 'Take ownership' of 'config' files and make mods that weren't possible without it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

I have placed this on the Unbootable Computers list.

I'm not convinced system was properly cleaned, since procedures were not completed...and it won't hurt to have someone take a look :).

Louis

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

I may be wrong, but I think this computer is booting up just fine and only the password necessary for elevated rights is unknown, right?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users