Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable Hard Disk Cannot Operate

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ezooone

ezooone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hai..can anyone tell me what to do when I plugged in a portable hard disk..the hard disk cannot function as usual..It wants me to format 1st before use it..the problem is there is too many important documents in there..so can anyone tell me what to do in order to save all the documents?

Thanks..help needed and really appreciated.. :)

Edited by ezooone, 27 February 2011 - 11:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

What operating system was this used on first and what operating system is it being used on now?
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I'm not sure I understand the above question about old and new os since there is no mention of a different os - or why the os is even important - but okay.

Have you tried the drive on a different computer just to see if you get the same error?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Different formatting from a different os such as linux or mac may or may not be the issue I start with the easiest things then go from there. Obviously it is either formated in a different format that windows cannot read or the disk has errors in its file system I'm going to assume that it is most likely an issue with the file system having an issue and thus making windows think it is unformatted. But also I still want to know what os it is on...
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

Yeah..this is portable hard disk..not internal or external..

Well..Allan I have tried to plugged at other computers and laptops too..but it's still the same..

#6 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hmm..If you insist about the os..mine is Windows 7..I tried also with my friends laptops..most of them using Windows 7 and Windows Vista..

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Well, you can try recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva) to retrieve your files, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get around formatting the drive. Worst case you can contact the drive manufacturer and see if they can offer any help.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have something you might try first: Credit for this go's to microsoft answers forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-wants-to-format-my-external-usb-hard-drive/6989ab09-37db-402c-b7b5-b689c0676602

I suggest that you run a chkdsk on the hard disk and check if you are still prompted to format the hard disk.
It creates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file system:
a. Right click on the command prompt and ‘Run as Administrator’.
b. At the command prompt type:
chkdsk [drive:] [/p] | [/r]
[drive:] Specifies the drive to check, this is the drive letter for your external hard disk.
/p Check even if the drive is not flagged dirty, bad.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /p).
animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Can you explain more detail?

Where should I "Right click on the command prompt and ‘Run as Administrator’, "?

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hmm that would be a good thing to tell you, ok:

Go to the start menu then type cmd in the search bar.

Then right click and click run as administrator.

I used to have a better canned post for this but I lost it.

Edited by computerxpds, 27 February 2011 - 11:53 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Computerxpds.. I tried again insert the portable hard disk to another friend's laptop..then it can detect and work like normal..however I can't copy all the data inside the hard disk..whenever I tried to copy..It will take a longer time to paste..It state there the process will complete by 1 day and 13 hours++..What make it really anoying is the data inside the portable hard disk only 9 gb..the space is 500gb..

Do you have any idea to save those documents?

Edited by ezooone, 28 February 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#12 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

any idea please..

#13 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hai..can anyone suggest me any idea please?

#14 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Were you ever able to run chkdsk /p /r ?

If you have bad clusters or a messed up file system, this could lead to the long copy times you describe. chkdsk may help that.

Also try your disk manufacturers web site for diagnostic software to test the disk. Without knowing who made it and the model #, there's not a whole lot else to suggest...

#15 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:49 AM

I can't run chkdsk /p /r..
the result like this..

"C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk [drive:i] [/p] | [/r]
The system cannot find the path specified. "