Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hello, I'm running a nVidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra graphics card. Old, yes, but this is a passed down computer from my uncle.

Lately I've been getting a bit more worried! Ever since, and even before I got the computer, there is a windy or airy noise coming from the computer that sounds like one of the fans. It fluctuates, sometimes to where it is really loud or to where you can't even hear it at all.
I recently aqquired Speccy, which shows the temperature of my graphics card.

Well, just a few minutes ago, the noise started up while I was playing Minecraft. Becoming curious, I opened Speccy to check on it. The temperature was at a whopping 92 degrees Celsius. I definitely thought it was overheating! I quit Minecraft (and shooed the cat off my computer tower, she always sits there but doesn't seem to bother anything. Should she not sit up there anymore?) and kept speccy open. Right now, the temperature is at it's usual; around 50 degrees Celsius.

What is the normal temperature my graphics card SHOULD be kept at? Is 90 degrees Celsius too much? I really don't want a busted graphics card or anything, haha!

EDIT: Tried playing it again on lower graphics, temperature still went up to 99 degrees celsius. I'm really afraid of playing games for prolong time now, but I've always played games for a long while with no problems... I guess now because I know what my temperature is doing now is what's scaring me from playing my games so much.

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 27 February 2011 - 06:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wowser8

wowser8

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

Its an old card but 90c is a very high temp. I wouldn't say its overheating since its core slowdown temp is 109c but you should keep an eye on it if you smell any smoke or burning plastic turn off your computer immediately. If it was seriously overheating your computer would automatically shut off as the card would not be able to function. Anyways you shouldn't really worry about it.

#3 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

A-alright. I think that the fan may be broken somewhat, so that is why it may be getting really hot. Recently I was playing it, and it went up to 200 degress F! (Not C)
I really just want to make sure I can play my games without worrying that my graphics card (or anything else inside the computer, for that matter) is slowly cooking inside there! I have never smelled any smoke or burning essence coming from the computer, and when it get's hot the computer only feels slightly warm to the touch of the case.

#4 wowser8

wowser8

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

You should be fine as it hasn't reached it core slowdown temp so I wouldn't really worry about it.

#5 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

Well, I just played Minecraft for a bit longer then I usually do, and the temp was going up to 108c. It's slowly returning back to normal, right now it's at 80c. Do you think maybe I should buy a new graphics card?

#6 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I'm freaking out right now. I checked Speccy again, and under my graphics card it says "The Specified service has been marked for deletion." Soo... does this mean my graphics card just kicked the bucket or something? I still have display and everything, but i'm really super confused right now. I think this is an error on Speccy's part.

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 27 February 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

A-alright. I think that the fan may be broken somewhat, so that is why it may be getting really hot. Recently I was playing it, and it went up to 200 degrees F! (Not C)

I am just curious which fan you are referring to and why you feel this fan is broken some-what?

Does this fan your speaking of have any broken blades on it?

Does the fan seem loose on its spindle?

Does the fan seem like it is seized up in any way?

Test it by gently flicking it with your finger so that it spins, does it spin a few revolutions before it stops, does it stop abruptly or seem like something is holding back?

Seriously, a video card should not reach a temperature any higher than 70 Degrees Fahrenheit for prolonged periods of time.

Yours has been hitting semi-extreme limits.

Please try this program and monitor your system temperatures again and post back the results.

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You can also use the following program below to perform the same analysis.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

Forget about Speccy for a sec. Try this http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

I generally feel more comfortable with GPU-Z info.

What drivers are you using on that card? Some drivers output different temps to monitoring programs.

As far as fixes, those cards output all of their heat into the case. What do the temps of your other components look like? Is airflow sufficient? Those cards had a high tolerance for heat. 90C wasn't unusual in setups that didn't have great airflow. Have you taken the side off your case and run it open to see if it changes temps?

At least it wasn't a 5800:

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

As far as I know, the fan seems to be working fine except for the noises it makes. It's been cleaned out numerous times, yet it still makes the noises; mostly when playing my games. I have not yet tried running the computer with the case open, but I'll try that. What also concerns me is that my computer is sitting on a carpeted floor; I'm trying to see if my dad can get something to keep it off of the ground so that maybe it can cool it off a bit. When I have cleaned it out, the fan seems to spin correctly and doesn't abruptly stop at any point.

I'll attach a screenshot of how my computer is doing right now, based on the CPUID Hardware Monitor specs. (I'm not running any games right now, so this is the usual temperature it runs at.)

Also, if it ever comes to coming close to frying or frying itself, would a new graphics card OR an external fan be better?

EDIT: Taking a second look at the screenshot, I don't see anything about my graphics card temps... Just my motherboard and CPU.

Attached Files

• Attached File  temp.PNG   20.52KB   9 downloads

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 27 February 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

It could be the contact between the gpu and the fan itself.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

Well, Since my last post my computer has been hoisted off the carpet by two milk crates, and the casing is open to allow more air flow. The temperature seems to have been getting a bit better, but it still fluctuates and gets up to the 200's when I'm playing my games.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

128 C or 256 F as being indicated in CPUID screen shot above is VERY HOT! :flame:

You need to try and bring that temperature down to a safer level.

Try replacing that cooling fan.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

I noticed that too, but that appears to be something on my motherboard.

But, I'm on the computer right now.. what can I do RIGHT NOW to bring it down?

I don't smell anything burning at the moment. Yet still, getting really worried. D:

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 28 February 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

I want you to get a second opinion, can you scroll up and try the program dpunisher suggested above and post the results from that program as well.

That would be the link he provided in post # 8

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 February 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#15 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

The program crashes after a few minutes, but I can still get some info here. Again, this is idle temperature; i'm not playing any games at the moment. This is also after hoisting my computer off the ground and opening the case up to allow more air flow.

Looking at this, doesn't my fan speed seem to be a bit low? I'm not sure, but I think it should be going faster.

The program crashes after a few minutes, but I can still get some info here. Again, this is idle temperature; i'm not playing any games at the moment. This is also after hoisting my computer off the ground and opening the case up to allow more air flow.

Looking at this, doesn't my fan speed seem to be a bit low? I'm not sure, but I think it should be going faster.

Attached Files

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 28 February 2011 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users