Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet bandwidth connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hello, I was looking for a good place to put this topic and this looked like the right place, if not please direct me to the right place. My question is, If I turn my computer off and it has an ethernet cable plugged into it from a router(linksys e1000), does it draw out bandwidth? Also, If my computer is on and is not running anything with an ethernet cable plugged into it does it draw out bandwidth? I'm mostly asking if my computer uses up internet when its off or is on but not being used. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

Not when turned OFF
But will when turned on , there are all sorts of updates that could be downloaded in the background, windows update , virus updates for example ,
ETAF

#3 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

If I turn off all of my updates will it draw out internet just sitting there?

#4 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

if all updates for all programs and notifications and any other program that wants to download ie email etc are all turned off, then it should be OK with maybe just a small handshake to keep the network live - although that should be done by the router.
if you want to be sure , why not just leave on but disconnect the cable from the router/modem or if wireless turn the wireless OFF
ETAF

#5 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thank you very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users