Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VAIO F13Z1E/B vs Dell Studio XPS 17 2.93 i7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Sony VAIO F13Z1E/B vs Dell Studio XPS 17 2.93 i7 (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Sony Vaio or Dell Studio XPS

1. Sony Vaio (1 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Dell Studio XPS (2 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 darkblue99

darkblue99

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

I am about to buy a new laptop, and after having done a little bit of research I think I've narrowed it down to two decent options. I run a lot of applications at once so I was looking for at least 8GB of memory with a decent processor. I would rather the laptop didn't become obsolete immediately so don't really want a lower end one.

I could buy this one: Sony Vaio for £1279.99. (I'm British so using pounds rather than dollars, £1 = $1.61 :wink: ).

• Intel Core i7-740QM Processor, 1.73 with Turbo Boost up to 2.93
  • Black
  • Memory Size 8 GB
  • Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
  • Optical Drive Blu-ray Disc Drive with DVD SuperMulti
  • Screen size 16.4"
  • Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M GPU
  • USB Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) x1, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) x2 - Transfer speed up to 2.5Gbit/s
  • Memory Stick Slots Memory Stick Duo x1, SD memory card x1
  • Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
  • WebCam

If you customise that model from Sony it costs more so that seems a decent price.

My other option was this Dell from eBay: Dell for £1049.99.

• 2.93 ghz CPU i7 Quad Core
  • 16 GIG DDR
  • 640 GB Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 Premium 64BIT
  • 3GB Graphic Card
  • Built in Wireless
  • DVDRW
  • UK Spec
  • USB 3.0 Technology
  • 9 Cell Battery
  • JBL 2.1 Designed & Certified Speakers +Waves MaxxAudio® 2.1 Audio: 2 X 5W + 12W sub-woofer 22W Total
  • Integrated Camera

Better specifications than the Sony Vaio and much cheaper than if you bought the same thing directly from Dell. Also a fair bit cheaper than the Sony Vaio.

I'm a bit torn about which way to go. I've had a Dell desktop before, which I didn't find that great with pretty average build quality. Looking at online reviews, apparently the Dell Studio XPS laptops get very hot and can make crackling noises. I've had a Sony Vaio laptop, which was pretty good except that the battery died pretty quickly and wasn't cheap to replace. The laptop other than that did a great job for five years. Vaios outside warranty are pretty expensive to repair by all accounts.

I guess what I really want to know is; has anyone got one of these Dell Studio XPS laptops and if so have you had any problems? I could get the Sony Vaio but is it worth paying more money for lower specs? The general assumption is that Sony have better build quality than Dell, but some reports say Dell have improved this over the past year or two. It's almost like taking a snobbish attitude that Sony is better than Dell just because it is Sony, but is this actually true?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

Some years Dell releases some crap laptop models. Sony on the other hand has good build quality. Do you plan to do some gaming on it?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

No gaming. I have to run several other applications at once though, so I don't want to go with anything with less than 8GB ram.

I'm probably leaning towards the Sony, but for no other reason than my not so good experience with a Dell desktop. Will decide in the next few days.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Sony makes a heck of a monitor. Best there is IMO.

The problem that I have run into with their systems though is lack of drivers.
Before you buy check the Sony website & make sure that drivers are available for your system.

You wont need them now, but you might in the future if you ever need to replace the hard drive.

Personally I think that Dell make a solid system and has good support (most of the time anyway).
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

The XPS 17 has one hell of a performance compared to the Sony, so i suppose Dell would be the way to go.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

I can't think of any real reason not to go with the Dell, apart from my previous experience making me lean towards the Sony. People keep telling me that the build quality of Dell isn't very good, but is this actually true of these XPS laptops?

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

This specific models build quality is overall pretty good according to this review which i recommend you should look at.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users