Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HELP] Computer Blank

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hello everyone I have tried for a couple months to try solve this problem on my own but to no avail and after a visit to the IRC i was advised to try my luck on the forums so without further delay here is my dilema.

I first tried to dual boot windows with linux and it was a success but my XP partition fell prey to a bad malware infection so i reformated that partition and reinstall windows and went through hell to reinstall grub and to identify my other drive. Everything was going swell until one day i noticed i couldn't boot into windows or my linux partition. after much expirementation etc. i came to find the solution going into windows safemode. (when i tried to regularly start windows the bar would freeze at startup and linux would never get command a blinking prompt.) and setting my drive to do a diskcheckupon startup. I would have to do this everything my computer shutdown and even after i check for my computer to be checked upon startup i would have to try about ten times before the check would initiate.After a while i tired todo linux's grub mem check and after waiting 3 days i restarted my computer midway because i never knew when it would end and though maybe it had froze. Now when my computer is booted upthe fans go on then it shuts down after 3 secs no beeps or sounds no BIOS and then going in an endless loop of starting up and shutting right back down. if there is anything else you need service tags, pictures etc i would be more then glad to give PLEASE i am in dire need.

~thank you peeps in advance i hope i can find the solution...

P.S i am willing to video chat, take pictures, video, online chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

When you reinstalled Windows, the installation overwrote master boot record which grub needs to present you with the booting options to linux or windows or whatever other systems you got there.

You need to boot into linux again and redo grub. Or is that what you tried? Your message isn't too clear. If you really can't boot from the harddrive, did you try some Live CD version of your Linux?

Alternative - do you have an image backup from before reinstallation? If you're lucky to have Acronis, you can restore the functioning MBR. There is also a command to repair MBR - I believe it is on the Windows rescue disk.

#3 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

I already redid grub and it was working i don't be lieve i can even acess the hard drive because i has tried and even if everything is connected or not the same thing happens the fans go on and then it shuts off and restarts.'

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

Does the GRUB loader screen come up fine or doesn't it even get that far?

Since a dual boot can be a real mess when something goes wrong; consider the following. Are you intent on keeping the dual boot or only Windows? In either case, the simplest solution would be to back up data (you can do that using a bootable linux CD for example) and completely reformat the harddisk. Then repartition and install the OS('s) as desired.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

I dont need tokeep the dual boot, but the BIOS screen doesn't even load up i can't even do live cd's

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

If the BIOS does not come up, this is most likely a hardware problem (PSU, motherboard or processor for example). Last time I encountered this kind of problem, it turned out to be a defect PSU. This can be tested at a computer shop.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

aww...does this mean it will cost me a lot?

#8 sach2

sach2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

It is definitely hardware related. Is this a desktop? The fast shutdown to me says CPU overheating.

If it is a desktop do all the fans seem to be running okay when you look at them?

#9 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

yes all the fans are working fine and a desktop

#10 Blue~PC1

Blue~PC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:55 AM

I CANNOT ACCESS EVEN THE BIOS SCREEN MEANING I CAN'T UNINSTALL ANYTHING =/

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

The cost of the replacement/repair will depend on what is broken, it can indeed also be overheating, you really need to get the computer to a repair shop in order to determine the cause.

Your data can most likely still be saved by slaving the HDD into an other computer.

regards, Elise

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

Whats teh make/model of the system?

Do you have any pets like dogs or cats?

The reason I ask is that I encountered a system the other day that was doing a similar thing.
Ended up being that the power supply, cpu fan & heat sink were absolutely clogged with animal dander.
A good cleaning and a replacement power supply solved the issue.

Power supplues run about 40-50 bucks but it depends on the case.
Thats why we need the make/model of the system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

You also may want to have a look at this tutorial: Cleaning the inside of your PC

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users