Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

My computer has been going crazy the last couple weeks. It's been freezing up and i've been getting bluescreens. I wasn't aware it was an overheating problem until i got help in another thread i created.

Here's my other thread detailing all my information including the temperature stats.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380941.html/page__gopid__2149238#entry2149238

My computer is now at the point were it takes 20 minutes to load into windows and when i finally do get to the desktop it runs very slow and choppy. I was suggested to not even turn it on. I cleaned the dust with compressed air and checked all the fans, which are all fine, but the person said i might need to apply thermal paste.

Hopefully someone can help me out here as i really don't know where to start with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnHaymond

JohnHaymond

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Greetings, deathx88.

Thermal paste is used to help form a conductive bond between a processor (CPU or GPU) and its heatsink.

To reapply thermal paste, you should buy a good brand (Arctic Silver is the standard, and any good computer shop or department will carry AS or something similar). You need only purchase a small tube.

Power down and unplug your machine, adhere to good anti-static protocols, access your CPU/heatsink/fan assembly, and separate the heatsink from the CPU. You'll need to carefully remove any old paste from both surfaces, then apply a very thin layer of new paste. Put everything back together, and start your testing.

The attached pic shows a good application on the CPU, and there are numerous internet guides and YouTube video tutorials.

Attached Files

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.
-- Alphonse Bertillon

#3 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I just did everything you said, cleaned all the old paste and applied the new arctic silver paste but i still have the same problems. My computer is still running insanely slow and I'm not sure if i should even turn it on. What should i do now?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

You could try to increase the fan speed which might help it to cool down OR buy a aftermarket cooler. Also i am assuming you are using a stock AMD fan.

Edited by killerx525, 01 March 2011 - 12:33 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

You could try to increase the fan speed which might help it to cool down OR buy a aftermarket cooler. Also i am assuming you are using a stock AMD fan.

Yes, all the fans in my computer are stock. How exactly can i increase the fan speed using the bios on an HP computer. I know about rivatuner but my computer is too slow now to try and install something.

Also, here's an update of my temperatures after applying the thermal paste. It looks fine but the pc is still very slow. I hope nothing is damaged.

Posted Image

I also took as screenshot of the video adapter section. I'm not sure if it means anything or not but the core temperature is ridiculously high. I took the graphics card out but it didn't seem to change anything so i don't know.

Posted Image

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

Have you tried cleaning out the graphics card fan?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Have you tried cleaning out the graphics card fan?

Yes, or course. Like i said i also just took the thing out and plugged into the onboard video but my computer is still slow. I'm starting to wonder if it's even an overheating problem i should be worried about, or maybe something fried in my system.

#8 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Do you think my processor could be damaged? Maybe that's why my computer is still running very slow, it seems like it's probably been overheating for a while now.

I happen to have a spare processor in my brothers old computer he doesn't use. He said he thinks it's close to the same AMD duel core one i have. Would i be able to just plop the spare one in mine and see if that works?

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

Can you find out what the spare AMD processor model?

>Michael 

#10 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:45 AM

Can you find out what the spare AMD processor model?

I'll find out as soon as i can tomorrow, his old pc isn't running now so I'll have to take the processor out and wipe off the thermal paste to see what it is. I do know that it's a HP pavilion very similar to mine so it can't be too far off.
Does it matter if it's a little different of a processor? Do i have to update bios or drivers or whatever to make sure it works if it's not exactly the same? I'm not too familiar with stuff like that.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:01 AM

Maybe, but if you are sure that hp models are similar then there might be a chance that it will be compatible but we have to be sure first.

>Michael 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

According to AMD the maximum temperature for that CPU is 70C, 53C is well within that range.

Are you still getting BSODs? If so please run Blue Screen View again and post the results in this topic.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

It looks like spare chip i have is an Intel duel core. The bottom of it even looks different so i guess i can't use this.

No, i haven't gotten another blue screen yet, i can barely use my computer to do something that would even trigger it. Even in safe mode my pc runs at a snails pace. I'll post a speccy snapshot within the hour, i just need to wait for my pc to load up.

I tried to google some more stuff to see what the problem could be. I heard some people suggest that it could be a power supply problem, if that makes any sense. I just hope it's not the motherboard, that would be a real hassle for me.

EDIT: I just installed and loaded up speccy but it says "cannot initialize SPC dll" for most of the stuff.
Is it because i'm running it in safe mode? I can try to run it in my computer normally but it takes way too long to load.

Edited by deathx88, 03 March 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

You have to start it on windows not safe mode.

>Michael 

#15 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:09 AM

You have to start it on windows not safe mode.

I'm trying to but it's taking hours for windows to boot up. When windows finally did load (sort of) i tried to open the program, it tried to load but eventually about a half hour later of loading a blue screen popped up.

It said something about the graphics driver timed out or something. I'll have to run the bsod program in safe mode if i can to see what it really said.

Right now, I'm on the desktop booted in low res mode. I double clicked on the speccy icon so hopefully it will open sometime this century.

EDIT: The program just won't load. It's been an hour now and it's just been a black screen with the hour glass pointer showing. I bet another blue screen will show again. What am i supposed to do if this won't load up?

EDIT 2: I can now see the taskbar at the bottom appeared. An error i got before came back up and says "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Edited by deathx88, 04 March 2011 - 04:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users