Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat & Reinstall Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

For reasons that aren't really relevant now, I had cause to re-install my Windows XP. To my own frustration I was not able to locate the original Windows disk that came with the computer. For work reasons I don't have time to play around, so I went out and bought another legal copy.

Here's my questions:

- I kinda wanted to start from scratch (read: completely clean) and do a complete re-format and re-install. I never could figure out out to get it to reformat, though. How do I get the Windows CD to do a complete re-format? My hard drive is partitioned @ 39MB FAT and the rest (1GB+) NTFS. I'm assuming if I had chosen to lose the partition, or change it's size, that it then would have reformatted.

- Should I even bother formatting? Meaning, is formatting as important as it used to be years ago, or is it kind of a bygone concept not really necessary today with more modern software?

I am at the point where I can easily go back and format and re-install again, or I can go forward and re-install my programs, etc., as some of them are no longer working since all the settings have been lost, and so on.

Thanks very much, in advance, for any suggetions and help.

Side note: I had to install three times. It kept getting hung up during the last phase of the installtion, the "finalization". The third time worked fine.

Side note #2 (for those who are familiar with my recent saga): During the initial stages, chkdsk did find and "correct" the index[14].php file, then did something about correcting the orphaned file with a slightly different name, but it went by too fast for me to catch all of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

When I reinstall a OS and want to make sure all data is removed I do a 'Quick wipe". You can download a copy of Active@killDisk that will boot from a floppy or burn the CD bootable verison, and have it on a more stable format for later use.
Most every one I tell I do this call it unneccessary. I never have problems reinstalling.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:32 PM

When you boot from the xp disk, after you choose to reinstall windows, it will ask if you want to keep current partition, do a quick format or a thorough format, also you can choose from fat32 or ntfs. I usually do a thorough format. It cleans out everything, though it is theoretically possible to recover information, if you are going to be using the computer then that is probably not an issue.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:33 PM

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

#5 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:59 AM

I hope I won't come off as a computer idiot after this is all said and done, but I'm sure feeling like one at the moment. This is getting extremely irritating.

- I tried to reformat using Microsoft's guidelines, but the Windows disk would always write temporary files to the c-drive before it gave me the option of partitioning, so since the drive "was in use", it wouldn't let me re-partition or reformat.

- I then tried the acvtive@killdisk option. It was 2am and maybe I was just tired, but I just couldn't wrap my braincells around the writing the file as an image concept.

- Then, to my surprise, I did find the original Windows disk that came with the computer. But, I never could figure out how to get it to work, as it wouldn't do anything because there was already a newer version of Windows on the computer.

- I have Windows up and running, but really want to format as I feel like there's alot of extraneous garbage on the disk that is now just taking up space.

- My ethernet card driver won't be found. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and the driver disk, but it still won't recognize it. I did some searching, and this is apparently a common occurance with Dells.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome, but I'm venting as much as anything at the moment.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

To burn an image you have to burn the file outside of the folder onto the cd. If the files inside of a folder on the cd the computer will not see them. To burn the image, when the program prompt you for the type of file to be burnt select .iso from the drop down menu. This will make the disk bootable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:24 AM

I'm coming in kinda late on your issues here, and I am in a hurry, but I will try to give you some answers that might make sense :thumbsup:

First off, do you want to install the original disk or with the one you recently purchased? I am guessing the recent one is more up to date (contains SP1 or SP2). You have already installed the new one, did you 'activate' this version? (that is the last step, and you activate the version by being on the internet and connecting to MS to get the version activated)

If you have not activated, then perhaps it would be best to use the original and keep the new one for later, perhaps a different machine???

Anyway, with either disk, just put the disk in the cd tray, reboot, and the computer should boot to the disk (you will have to hit a key when prompted early on to boot to the cd). Start the install process by hitting ENTER when prompted. When you see the choices of which partition to you want to install to, you must delete the existing partitions. Read the prompts. Then when partitions are deleted you must create a new partition to install Windows to. You will have the choice of sizing this partition. You can make it your entire hard drive, or you can make any size you wish. This will become your C: drive.

Also, you always have the option of formatting your hard drive via the Recovery Console. More info HERE

Gotta run, hope this helped???
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Are you booting from the cd, or booting computer and then running cd?

If you boot from cd it should be able to reformat with any problems.

You may need to change boot order to have cd drive ahead of hard drive.

To change boot order, enter bios when computer starts, this is done by pressing f2, esc. or other key. Your owners manual should have instructions.

If you boot from cd, say no at screen offering to setup repair console, say yes to reinstalling windows, at the next screen you should be able to do a reformat without any trouble. After that is completed the cd will start loading files.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

If you're trying to do this from within Windows - it won't work. Windows will always have use of the drive that it's on.

Booting from CD is the most common and easy option - although you can boot from floppy with a bit more difficulty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users