Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not start up after StartUp progs Disabled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Big Blue Oreo

Big Blue Oreo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

I was having trouble with a game that normally works not playing. So I talked to an online helper from the game who suggested I disable all of my startup programs (using MSConfig, and disable all on the start up tab)

Now all I get is the blue HP screen, then it goes to a black screen with a cursor that just blinks. It goes no further. F8 does not take me to safemode and windows does not start. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am just REALLY hoping I do not have to completely wipe my PC clean...I have photos of our kids I need to get off of there.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I forgot to mention I have XP Media Center Ed.

Edited by Big Blue Oreo, 26 February 2011 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

>> Now all I get is the blue HP screen, then it goes to a black screen with a cursor that just blinks <<
Hi -
Did you ask the online helper from the game if this was fixable or caused from their end ??
Do you think this is related to the game (Please tell us the game) or a personal computer problem -
Also any other information that you think may help us solve the problem -

Thank You -

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Since you are posting here I'm assuming that you have access to another computer. If this is the case let's make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
* Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
* You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
* You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
* Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
* The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

You may need to change the boot order of the computer you are attempting to repair so that it is the first device in the boot order.

Once in the Recovery Console choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Big Blue Oreo

Big Blue Oreo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions.

The game is Everquest 2, I've had it on my PC since 2006, this was the first time I EVER had this kind of thing happen. I tried to start up and it took a REALLY long time and gave me an error that it found an error that was permanent. SO I uninstalled it, tried to reinstall it and it did not work. So I uninstalled it again, tried to reinstall it, it did not work, tried to uninstall it and got a -1 error that it would not uninstall.

Then I talked to the tech support for the game (via chat) he said I should stop all of the start up programs to see if it was conflicting with it, and I was to then restart the modem and router. I did not do the latter, but it really does not make difference since I cannot get Windows to boot up. I have not tried F10, I am afraid if I do that I have to wipe everything clean. I am somewhat PC savvy, but not nearly enough. I can follow instructions though! :)

As far as the bootable CD, does it make a difference if all of the other PCs I have access to are either Vista or 7??

Thank you again!! I really appreciate your help!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

No, it should not matter. You are just using the other computer to download and produce the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users