Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows7 Oem and Retail version and further

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I have a question about the Oem and Retrail of O.S. Windows7 .
The first question is: What is Oem and what is Retrail.?
Than the second: What is the difference between Windows7 Home Premium and Professional and also the next:

Windows7 Ultimate .?
If you do know, I build a new Computer and by a new one, must also a new O.S.
Or I like it or I don't, but it is a fact, when I don't buy, than is there a time, that I must, because, Windows Xp and Vista are a dead goose, soon, so it is better, when I have the built new one, I use also a new O.S.
Now do I hope, that you can tell me more, what the difference is.
I thank you for your time and see your reply on my post, soon, I hope.

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2011 - 02:47 PM.
Removed typo in title.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Take a look here: An Explanation of Oem, Upgrade, Academic, And Full Versions of software

Full version would be a retail version.

Short explanation:

An OEM version is tied to the hardware it is installed on and support is by the vendor that supplied it. A Retail version install is not wedded to the original hardware and may be moved to new hardware as long as it is uninstalled on the previous machine. Support with a full/retail version is by Microsoft.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

And to answer the other question, look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for the information, Gentleman's.
What I did seen, must I telling that it is maybe smart, when I buy the Retail version.
We all do know that Computer components are very expansive, at least what I did seen in my country, get I more gray hair what I may pay, thanks the Lord, have I a Donor Computer, by this, is it possible for me, for building a Computer on a cheaper way.
When I buy the Oem version, than I pay the Jackpot.
For the money what I do may pay, when I buy the Oem version, have I a second Harddisk from +/- 8 Tb.
So thanks to you, am I further a piece smarter.

:rolleyes:

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

Hello,

I have a new question about Windows7.
On the site was I looking for the price of Windows7 and I saw 2 versions of Windows7 Home premium.
A Dutch and an English version, now is my question in this: What are the differences between that 2.? I don't talk over English and Dutch, I want know what are the differences and I mean than the details.
Maybe is it possible that the Dutch people and English, can here post their experiences.

Thank you for the reply.

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hai\Hi,

I have just bought, my new Computer stuff.
Now want I buy Windows7 64-bits version.
But I have a problem with looking for Windows7.
Which version must I buy?
You have the next generations of that os:

Windows7 Home Premium
Windows7 Professional
Windows7 Ultimate
Windows7 WAU HmPrem to Ult
Windows7 WAU HmPrem to Prof
Windows7 WAU Start to HmPre
Windows7 Home Premium
Windows7 Professional
Windows7 Ultimate
I have no Vista on my old system, so an upgrade is nothing for me.
Which version of the os do you say, this one must you to buy?.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 23 April 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

You have Windows7 Home Premium, Windows7 Professional, Windows7 Ultimate listed twice. Also since you will be buying a copy of Windows 7 You don't need to consider the WAU versions as they are Windows Anytime Upgrades to the next higher version. Why would you buy a lower version then pay for the upgrade. Buy the version you want in the first place. So your list of 9 is actually 3. Home premium, Professional or Ultimate.

Use the comparison tool for those three and see what you need. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the information, Animal.
I have at this moment Windows Xp Home 32-bits
If I do know is there not an upgrade from Windows7, when you use Windows Xp.
You can believe me that when I had the possibility for buy an upgrade, than I do that.
An upgrade is cheaper than the bold version.

Windows Anytime Upgrades

At this moment I didn't know that WAU does mean Windows Anytime Upgrades, but now I know thanks to you.
I was looking at the site from the shop were I made the order for my stuff and paid and saw that Windows7 versions.
I copied that and paste in my message on the forum, I got double versions and edited.
But I did seen that there still the same names what is in the list and before this, I had this not seen.
Sorry.

You have Windows7 Home Premium, Windows7 Professional, Windows7 Ultimate

My question is: Which one can I better to buy.?
Have I more on Windows7 Home Premium or say you, Windows7 Professional is more nicer than the Premium or say you, it is better that you buy Windows 7 Ultimate.
My other question in this is: Which one is better.?

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

My question is: Which one can I better to buy.?
Have I more on Windows7 Home Premium or say you, Windows7 Professional is more nicer than the Premium or say you, it is better that you buy Windows 7 Ultimate.
My other question in this is: Which one is better.?

I have no idea how much you can afford, so for me to suggest spending money you don't have would be rather presumptuous on my part. Add to that I have no idea of your computing needs, only you know what you 'must have' for features.

This is why I suggested you used the windows comparison tool to match your needs with the version that best fits what you need. My needs and your needs quite likely do not match. So asking me 'what would I buy' isn't really a relevant question to answer your needs. Tells us what you require and we can suggest.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

I am for a part agree with you, Animal.
I am not familiar with Windows7, so I looking for the version what is easy in use.
I don't know how are the rules in your country, but in my country is it so, when you buy Software and you have broken the seal, than bring you the Software back to the shop, because after installation do you see that the Software what you bought is not what you had in your mind, you get no refund your money.
That is also when you have only broken the seal.
That nonsense have we to thank through Brain\RiaaA.
Copyright law, you know.
So mate, that is the reason that I ask the question.
I can sure you, when I may bring back the Software when the seal is broken, than I didn't ask.

About the money, yeah the stuff what I bought is a lot of money, it is logical that I also think on my wallet.
But not at least, when I had bought a new Computer in the shop, than had I more spend money.
So I was looking for the prices of Windows7 and I got more grey hair.

In not so far future, Windows7 will be the only o.s. what there is, Windows Xp is than history, soon have I, when I have receive my Computer stuff, a new Computer, than is it logical that I say, now is it time that I buy also a new o.s.
Now do you understand why I did ask my question.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 24 April 2011 - 04:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users