Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*Sigh* How bad is your virus paranoia?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

I just re-formatted and install W7 again for the most ridiculous reason. I visited a laptop review website and it had 1 popup, and then a couple minutes later my laptop touchpad began to act up. It was most likely a driver problem, but me being so paranoid of viruses, couldn't sleep all night and at 2am just backed up my stuff and formatted :/

This paranoia began when my brother got our desktop infected downloading huge music albums from limewire (*facepalm*). There were so many viruses and we couldn't find the windows restore disc so I had to spend almost a whole week with little to no sleep starting at 8 hour rootkit scans. I then found the restore disc a month later and since then at the smallest sign of a virus I format and re-install. On the desktop I even resorted to slapping Linux on there (very satisfied) but I'm using this laptop for gaming so I can't run linux on here all the time.

I feel like an idiot because an error message or a questionable popup can get my heart racing.
Wow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Comodo firewall + Avast normally keeps my computer plenty clean with little to no virus infections.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

I am not worried about it. Just stay up to date which is done automatically for most av and don't download things from sketchy places. I didn't know people still used Limwire.

The only thing resembling a firewall I use is peerblock, its like peer guardian but current.

The only time I am worried about it is if I download something that should be a certain size and it is under 1 mb, that usually sends up a red flag.

I have a mini heart attack every time my av whines about cookies but luckily I haven't had a virus on my personal machine in years.

Surf safely!

Posted Image

#4 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

I can get fairly paranoid about viruses, but sometimes if I see an unrated/unknown site I brave it, because I have loads of protection on my back. Sometimes little guys slip through here and there, but using the bunch of software I have I can usually clean everything up.

I'm in between, I guess.

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#5 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

I haven't had MBAM Pro fail me yet, it's blocked all kinds of stuff, best $30 I ever spent on security software.

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

I have been on the internet for more than 20 years and I'm pretty fearless regarding what links I click on. I've never needed to reformat a HDD due to a virus infection and have actually encountered very little in the way of virus activity. For these reasons my virus paranoia is pretty much non-existent.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

I have dreams all the time about my computer getting infected, and whenever my parents use my computer I always hover over them to make sure they don't click on the wrong thing. :P

#8 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

I have dreams all the time about my computer getting infected, and whenever my parents use my computer I always hover over them to make sure they don't click on the wrong thing. :P

I have dreams about viruses too! I remember one time, I got infected by like 5 rouges at once in a dream. :lmao:

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#9 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

The only thing resembling a firewall I use is peerblock, its like peer guardian but current.

can u explain more please

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

@thrillhouse:
Posted Image

That is $%^&ING hilarious...:hysterical:

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,546 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

can u explain more please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerBlock

and

http://www.peerblock.com/

To answer the original question.

EDIT: I admin this site that has many of the finest malware fighters in existence who work here and visit us. I have access to their extensive knowledge, just as every member here has access to. What do you think my paranoia level is? :wink:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Lime wire or any thing like it is asking for problems.

#13 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Mine is at the minimum. I run avast! Anti-virus (Free edition.), MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, TrendMicro's Housecall on-demand scanner, and Comodo's free Firewall/DefensePlus package.

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Posted Image

#15 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members