Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dds screen saver ???? Showing in downloads.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rustybaw

Rustybaw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hi there all,

Today while I was trying to get some college work done I noticed that in my downloads I'm showing a file thats called dds, type, screen saver ??????? I haven't downloaded any screen savers and have no idea where this came from. I ran a scan on this and no viruses were detected. I clicked on it without opening, unknown publisher. Clicked on Norton file insight and this froze for a few seconds when I tried to close it. A quick google search didn't help much. I'm not savvy enough to determine where this came from or whether its legitimate or not. I'm prob just being a bit paranoid as I've had a few worries recently with malwarebytes skipping from around 180 objects to 30,000 odd without scanning the files inbetween. As soon as I'm able to backup my computer onto an external hard drive the better, then I will be running combofix as advised by Maniac over on the Malwarebytes forum but until then I still need to use my computer to get work done. Any advice on what this is and what to do with it would be greatly appreciated. Prob being over cautious but I'm pretty blind when it comes to understanding malware, viruses etc.

Got one further silly question. I use Chrome as my browser. The tabs seem to flicker at the top if they are left on my homepage, igoogle, which can be incredibly annoying when trying to work. Is this caused by malware of any kind ?

Sorry for taking up your time if this is nothing and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Have you tried to receive any malware removal assistance on here? The dds file you are referring to is a tool that used by malware removal analyst to assist you in removing malware.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

dds.scr is very likely the DDS malware logging tool that many help sites (including Bleeping Computer) ask people to run as a first step in determining if they are infected. It's perfectly safe. The "Screen Saver" identification is intended to fool some of the less sophisticated malware since they be blocking .exe files from running.

If you're getting malware removal help from the MalwareBytes forum then you should avoid making any additional changes to your computer until your helper at MalwareBytes declares your computer clean. I'm not familiar with maniac at MalwareBytes, whether he/she is trained in using ComboFix or not, so I'll just give the general warning: ComboFix should only be used under the supervision and at the direction of a trained helper. Using it on your own can have dire consequences for your computer.

#4 Rustybaw

Rustybaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I know that this is not something I need to worry about.

As for ComboFix, I will follow this up with Maniac on Malwarebytes.

Cheers all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users