Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kubuntu 9.04, Mint 7, and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

OK campers. I'm a Linux moron. I shall read the two pinned topics for intros and distros, but for now, just to get the condensed version ... :huh:

A pro geek gave me copies of the versions mentioned in my thread title (edit: about 18 months ago). Is either one still viable? If so, which is more stable in your opinions? And, presuming you approve of EITHER of these, being that I now have Win7 on my HDD, if I wished to install one of these Linux versions, would I need to partition said HDD? I wouldn't necessarily want dual boot as mention in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic378768.html. Is it possible to have both OS'es on one HDD and toggle between them as I felt inclined, without having both running at the same time, every time?

Yeah, I hear you all laughing at me ... lol ... :hysterical:

Edit: After taking the distro quiz and looking at screenshots, I believe that Mint or Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) would be good bets for me. Is the old copy of Mint 7 which I was given compatible with Win7 x64? I like the feel of Mandriva too, which I'd have to download. But I'm scared of anything still in alpha. Any complaints about stability issues in 2011 TP, that is, if 2010 would not be compatible with 64-bit?

Thanks a million. :wink:

Edited by floridaze, 26 February 2011 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

yes you can run a 32bit OS. Mint 7 works fine (stable). i don't know how you would access both systems on one drive if you did not use a boot manager (like GRUB). this means dual boot menu at start up. Ubuntu 10.10 is an easy install that will resize your windows partition and partition the rest for linux. it will also install the boot loader for the dual boot menu at start up.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

OK, I can run Mint 7 x32 on my x64 Windows 7? Cool.

Ubuntu 10.10 may be a better bet, with all the self-installing features you mentioned, for this total Linux n00b.

If I should go with Mandriva, should I try the 2011 TP alpha, or the 2010? I like the look of the screenshots better than Ubuntu, but as mentioned above, Ubuntu might be much simpler.

Thanks a lot, caperdog.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

hold up there. you will not be running mint 7 x32 on win7 x64. you will be running mint 7 on the hardware in you computer that can also run a 64 bit system like win7. do you understand. if you want to run linux under win7 you have to run virtualization software like VMWare. i am not sure if the mint 7 install will resize your windows partition. you may need third party partitioning software. so i would read up on it before you jump in and possible mess up your win7 installation.
i don't know anything about mandriva 2011, sorry.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yes, got it now, I believe. My hardware is x64, but it's also OK to run x32 OS'es on it, such as Linux Mint 7.

I have some experience with Partition Wizard, have resized partitions and cloned hard drives with it, but I may well go with Ubuntu 10.10, since you told me it does all that for me, at least for my first Linux experience. I'll be sure to back up everything on my current HDD first, since I'm a bit of a jinx.

Thanks again, very very much. You probably saved me a lot of heartache.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

also, if you just want to give linux a whirl you can boot from the mint 7 live-CD and run it from there. then you will know if there are any issues (drivers) before you install. it will run slower from the cd then it will when installed on your hard drive.

#7 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Do a complete back up of your Win 7 before you try anything
Unless you plan on doing a complete reinstall.

You can effectively shrink the Win 7 partition using the FREE EASEUS Partition Manager
to gain enough space on your HD for the Linux partitions.

Ubuntu - Mint I believe uses Grub 2 boot loader

You will need to have Win 7 installed 1st then install your Linux distro's - otherwise you will have boot problems.

#8 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

Awesome. That sounds very safe. Thank you! Have a great weekend.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thank you, Ramchu. I have a system image and all my data backed up to an external drive. I also have a clone of my Win7 HDD from when I first bought it, before I cluttered the registry and so on with a lot of programs.

My current HDD is 150 GB, with only about 35 GB being used, including Win7 x64 and all of my other programs and data. Lots of free space.

Thanks for the EASEUS recommendation. I've heard good things about the company.

Greatly appreciate both of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users