Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modifying i7 720QM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

How to modify the cpu? Can you interchange the cpu bus for example by soldering a different one in? For example, would a cpu bus from a i7 975 be compatible with an i7 720QM? Can you turn a 8mb cache cpu into a 12 mb cache cpu at home, if one had the right tools. What about other parts of the cpu? Has anyone anywhere ever seen a modified current-date cpu other than overclocking?

Edited by pconstantinescu, 26 February 2011 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

It's not possible to modify your CPU in any way shape or form, except for overclocking.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

In some laptop motherboards, the CPU could be soldered onto the board. It is usually not a good idea to replace a CPU on a notebook PC because of the custom nature of the hardware. If you wanted to use a different CPU on a laptop, you have to know how to disassemble the chassis so you don't damage it. Assuming you are using a desktop variant of a CPU, which you probably are not, you will need to see which CPU's are compatible with your specific model. Newegg and most other consumer computer sites typically don't offer mobile CPU's. You also cannot alter the CPU in any way given the design and manufacture of the component itself. The only way to change a CPU is to change the CPU on the motherboard or overclock it. The one possible exception are some AMD CPU's which have locked cores, it is possible to unlock those using the motherboard BIOS.

3939.png

#4 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

In some laptop motherboards, the CPU could be soldered onto the board. It is usually not a good idea to replace a CPU on a notebook PC because of the custom nature of the hardware. If you wanted to use a different CPU on a laptop, you have to know how to disassemble the chassis so you don't damage it. Assuming you are using a desktop variant of a CPU, which you probably are not, you will need to see which CPU's are compatible with your specific model. Newegg and most other consumer computer sites typically don't offer mobile CPU's. You also cannot alter the CPU in any way given the design and manufacture of the component itself. The only way to change a CPU is to change the CPU on the motherboard or overclock it. The one possible exception are some AMD CPU's which have locked cores, it is possible to unlock those using the motherboard BIOS.

He's right for the most part, the only part that I have to disagree is that Newegg doesn't offer mobile cpu's. Check thisout.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#5 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys. This made me watch some youtube videos of how cpu's are made.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

It's not possible to modify your CPU in any way shape or form, except for overclocking.

Not totally true.

It is with considerable risk that some CPU`s can be unlocked by creating a physical bridge between certian pins.

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE NOVICE!!!!!!!!

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

He's right for the most part, the only part that I have to disagree is that Newegg doesn't offer mobile cpu's. Check thisout.

LOL, NewEgg does sell it but the range are limited and most are out of stock.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users