Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Alert-nortons Anti-virus Off, But Really On

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chapin33

chapin33

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hello all....

I upgraded from XP Home to Professional. I was required to close all anti-virus programs prior to doing so. As such I closed Norton's Anti-virus, then installed XP Pro upgrade. I then attempted to turn the Norton's anti-virus back on and it did not turn on for four attempts. At the fourth attempt, I was able to turn this back on. I ran a virus scan and nothing was found. I also ran spy-ware scans and Spy-bot caught a security registry change for anti-virus. I quarantined this and left it there.

After doing this and powering off the pc, when it is powered on 8 out of 10 times, I get a security notice telling me that Norton's Anti-virus is turned off, but it is really not. I know because when I go to Nortons, everything is enabled (or on) and when I go to the security setting in XP, it tells me that everything is on. So why is this security notice still occuring? I tried to call Symantec but after removing the program and reinstalling it (their direction), the problem still exists. I tried to followup with Symantec but gave up after been on hold--in mean, ignore, for more than 45 minutes.

Can anyone assist?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

What exactly did you quarantine?

If it was a Norton file you may have caused the problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 December 2005 - 07:22 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:52 AM

There used to be a similar problem with Norton several years back.

The solution was an uninstall and reinstall of Norton. In the event that that didn't work, the recommendation was to use the Norton removal tool to remove all traces of the program - and then reinstall.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

I don't do this often but I think the real problem is you need a change. Norton has you money and ovouisly will not help you in a timely manor.
Try one of the Freeware antivirus' and firewalls. Atleast til you can get some answers from Norton.
Here are a few in case you decide to go this router...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall (Reported not to be offered after 12-31-2005)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the information posted here. I did reinstall Nortons and it did not solve the problem. I then went into the Spy-bot and found that I had quarantined an anti-virus change of registry file. It seems that when I turned off Nortons to install XP Pro, this registered and Spy-bot I guess was just doing its job. I reapply this item and so far so good.

In the event that future problems come back around, I will use these suggestions. Many thanks again.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for letting us know your solution! It'll help someone else in the future!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users