Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mounting Media Center + Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DSeyir

DSeyir

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hi,
I want to build a machine where there will be a media center and production server.
My question is wether to install Debian or Windows or both.
Mi idea is to have all my movies and music, connect the PC to the TV to watch films and at the same time have a production server to host my web projects before uploading to online server, and make that machine a router firewall with two network cards.

Here's the Hardware:
MB: Gigabyte GA-8I915PMD
CPU: Intel P4 3.20Ghz
RAM: 3GB DDR2 266Mhz
HD1: 200GB [Seagate ST3200826AS]
HD2: 500GB [Seagate ST3500320AS]

What's your opinion, should I install Debian with windows on a virtual machine; should I install Debian on the 200GB HD and Windows on the 500GB and restart every time I want to switch between the server and media center.

My concern on keeping windows is to make it easier to manage the TV connection and movie and music players with an existing remote controller.

Please advise fellows

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I would ditch the router/firewall on the server for two reasons. First if you do switch back and forth at some point the software firewall/router will be inactive...not good. Go with a decent consumer grade router/firewall combo that can be on 100% of the time.

I don't think I configuration you have listed will be very good for either application depending on the OS's you plan on running. A decent dual core processor with very low wattage makes a good media PC proc. I think you will be upset with the level of noise from that kind of setup that will drown out the movie sounds. Secondly while I'm not familiar with debian most server software runs rather poorly on low grade desktops....and face it a P4 is five generations old in Intels world.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

FreeNas would be good but as I re-read your post it sounds like you want to use it with your tv to watch the media on it so that wont help. But it would for a production server I think. But the reason I say that is because I use FreeNas on a P4 for a media Server and I love it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users