Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot / endless loop

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Raprider

Raprider

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi, folks. I've had lots of success mining the forums here for virus/malware assistance here, so thought I'd try with a new problem.
My Dell Latitude D620 running WinXP SP2 will suddenly will not boot up properly.

When I power it on, I get a black screen saying that Windows did not shut down properly, and offers me a variety of choices, from Safe Mode to Last Known Configuration to Start Windows Normally.
Regardless of which I choose, eventually a blue screen with white text appears, just for a second or 2, too fast to read anything, and then I get returned to the original black screen. And so on, until I simply power down.

I do not have any of the original disks for this machine, and nothing has been changed on it.
This just started happening about 2 nights ago for no reason I can identify.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Rap

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

When the system first boots start tapping the F8 (function) key. When you get to the advanced boot option screen choose the option that says "Disable restart on Error" (or something similar) and reboot. Next time that blue screen error should remain visible. Copy the ENTIRE contents and post them here.

#4 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!
The first reply does not make sense, since I am writing this thread from my working desktop machine, and if I can't boot my non-working laptop, how can I run any programs?

Re the second reply, here is what the Blue Screen error says:
<<
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0x86F45562,0xF7A397E4,0xF7A394E0)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
>>

I'm guessing the last line refers to you fine people :)
Rap

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Yeah sorry about that ADD on my end I didn't quite grasp the fact that it could not boot.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

no prob...i went to the first link and started reading, and then went 'wtf'...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

If you have the XP Recovery Console installed/available...I would try running the chkdsk /r command.

You might also try running the Dell Diagnostics, following the directions at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd620/en/UG/trouble.htm#wp1305119 .

Louis

#8 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

I don't have any recovery disks. Is there something else I should be trying to run this?

I tried running the Dell Diagnostics from the Dell site.
I was able to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment and it ran fine.
However, when I tried to run the Dell Diagnostics, all I got was a blue screen and nothing happening for over 10 min until I shut the laptop down.

Twice...

UGH!

Edited by Raprider, 26 February 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

Go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to disk, boot to it and run it.

#10 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Well, it took a while, but, I was able to determine that I have a Hitachi hard drive.
I went to their site and downloaded their "DFT" disk fitness test to a cd.
Put the cd in the laptop and re-booted, hit F12, and tried to boot from CD/DVD/CD-RW drive.
The drive spins, but I end up back at the black screen saying that Windows did not shut down properly, and offers me a variety of choices, from Safe Mode to Last Known Configuration to Start Windows Normally.
And the cycle continues...

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

Then you are not booting to the cd. Either it's not at the top of the bios boot order or you did not burn it properly.

#12 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

Finally got around to re-trying this.
I recreated the CD following the instruction here: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT
I then turned on the laptop, went into the BIOS settings and removed all devices from the boot order except the CD drive.
I inserted the CD and then restarted the laptop.
The CD drive spins, and then I get the following:

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

F5 runs the same Pre-Boot System Assessment that I had already run.

I seem to be getting nowhere fast :(

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Again, you are not booting to the cd (only because the cd is not bootable). Is it an .iso image you downloaded? If so, here is how to burn it: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

#14 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

That made a world of difference! Yes, I had downloaded an .iso file directly to the cd, but, following the instructions in the link you gave me, I have properly burned the cd and the disk booted and the testing is running now. More to come when complete...

#15 rejaded

rejaded

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hard drive is possibly buggered or very scrambled.Might be time for a new one.See if you can connect it to another computer (remove it from laptop)via a docking station or external hdd enclosure to see if you can get your stuff off of it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users