Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tony o flanagan

tony o flanagan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

I dropped my iomega 1 tb drive about 1 foot to the door.When I tried to get a file from it i noticed it was not showing in my computer.
I really have some important stuff on it and was wondering the best/worse case scenario. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Well most likely unfortunately your drive most has a mechanical issue caused by the fall and thus has rendered any data on it unreadable BY the Normal reader arm, now the data on it can be retrieved but you would need to send it to a data recovery center and spend a lot of money. What you need to do is decide whether the data on the drive is worth more than the fees that you would need to pay to a drive recovery center.

Edited by computerxpds, 25 February 2011 - 05:15 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 tony o flanagan

tony o flanagan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I would normaly hear a spinning noise when the drive is running so I suspected it was mechanical though the power indicator is working.
I dont mind replacing the drive its the files that are important. Is it expencive to retrieve the data.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

There are several places advertised on line that perform data recovery. You location may be a bit of a hindrance.

Some charge by the amount recovered. Some do not charge if no data is recovered.

Shop around a bit. Good Luck.

#5 tony o flanagan

tony o flanagan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

bought new external drive and recovered all the data from my old drive. total cost 100 euro not to bad in the end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users