Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With HTML Table

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Something is pushing my table out 7 pixels, and I can't figure out what it is. My site I'm pretty new at this so I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious. My CSS is a bit unorganized as well, so hopefully someone can make sense of it. As always any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Umm... what part specifically is bothering you? Help us out and describe what you want to happen, what you are seeing, which of the three tables are bothering you, etc. What browser are you using? Pages render differently depending on the browser.

Edited by groovicus, 25 February 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Right, sorry about that.

I test primarily in Chrome and Firefox, but I do check Opera and Safari from time to time. I really like the Dev tools in Chrome, though I only know how to use their most basic functions.

The issue I'm having is that the table header should be lining up with the table borders at 960 pixels. Something is pushing the borders our 7 pixels, so it's not lining up correctly. My link I spent about two hours yesterday changing CSS styles, ect. and I'm at the point where I don't know what else to check. I'm about ready to ctrl+a delete, and just start from scratch.

I don't expect anyone to spend a lot of time going through my code, I was kinda hoping that there's something obvious that I'm missing. I appreciate any help.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

No problem looking, just needed to know what the issue was. :)

For starters, plug your url into the validator and fix the HTML errors (ignore the javascript validation errors):
http://validator.w3.org/

There are only a few, but Div tags are not allowed in P tags. I assume that you are trying to use them as padding, but that is not what divs are for.

Some specifics (and I am using IE),
- set the header image with to 100%. You have already set the table width to 960, no need to specify a width. Just tell it to fill the area. Remove the divs that shouldn't be there. Set the top table width to about 965 so that it lines up with the rest of the content. Also, there is an extra table at the bottom that is doing nothing other than making a white box that isn't doing anything; delete it.

You will notice that the border on the left side doesn't quite line up with the banner images. That is because of the border. Put a border around the entire table, and they should line up ok.

Edited by groovicus, 26 February 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for checking on that for me. I believe I fixed all the HTML errors.

I'm reluctant to make the table wider than 960 pixels since that's how the rest of the site is, including the nav bar/page headers. I followed the rest of your advice and I don't know what fixed it, but the overhang that was bothering me seems to be better. Dreamweaver is still telling me that the table is being pushed to 967 pixels, but it's not showing the way it was, so I suppose it's OK. I get overly picky when doing this kind of stuff because I'm used to having complete control over how everything looks; like in Indesign.

I see what you mean about adding the border around the top banner so that it lines up better. I'm going to try that and see how it looks.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. If there's any other mistakes or just anything that I'm doing that's just plain backwards, feel free to let me know. I'm still just wingin' it. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users