Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I delete the My Backup files that I don't need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mamaterra

mamaterra

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I recently had to have my computer taken back to factory settings. It was done by a local computer repair guy.

It's an emachines W3410 with Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3.

I currently have two back up folders, My Backup -- 08-12-09 2328 and My Backup -- 19 -02-11 0023.

I've moved all the pictures and documents I needed from the backup folders to the folders I want them in.

Is it safe to delete the backup folders now? Will I harm my computer if I do delete the backup folders and everything in them? I've already backed everything up on an external hard drive. And the folders are 17.2 GB and 18.2 GB respectively.

And if it is safe to do so, how do I do it? I tried to delete the oldest one already, but it wouldn't let me. I get an error that says:

Cannot delete 1394BUS.SY_: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

No, you won't harm anything :)

For future reference, any time you don't know whether or not it's safe to delete files or folders just rename them. If there is no problem after a boot or two, it's safe to delete them. And btw, in my opinion the BEST form of backup is to use disk imaging software on a regular basis - especially if you have a second HD (internal OR external). The best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it's not free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#3 mamaterra

mamaterra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thank you for your reply Allan. It is much appreciated. I deleted almost all of the content. Some items won't allow deletion. I keep getting the "Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." error. Do you know, is that because they shouldn't be deleted or is there some way I can work around that to delete the files?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

Try taking ownership (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

If that doesn't work, try deleting them from safe mode.

For future reference, whenever you want to delete something but aren't sure if you need it, just either rename it or move it to a temp folder and reboot. If there are no problems after a day or two, feel free to delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users