Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 system recover - Repair option missing

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

Good afternoon,
I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not a computer whiz, but I can usually understand things just fine if they're not too technical. That being said:

I am attempting to run a complete system recovery (factory restore) on Windows 7 using a recovery partition. Last time I ran the recovery, I ended up having a lot of problems with system programs not being installed correctly, and with the system administrator account. Now, when I reboot and use the F8 option to bring up the boot options, I do not have an option to "Repair your computer" as I had before. I also tried rstrui.exe through the command prompt, but it only tells me that "No restore points have been created on your computer's drive. To create a restore point open System Protection."

I also checked my drives through DISKPART to make sure there were no problems with the recovery partition, but it is showing up normal. On the Windows knowledge database it said that if the system recovery options are missing, then the system is not installed with the options or they were disabled by the network administrator. Given that I had no problems accessing these the last time I ran the recovery, I'm assuming something happened with the account. I am set up with 1 user in the system, which is the administrator.

So, what I am looking for assistance on is either:

1) Re-enabling the options so that I can access the "Repair your computer" options on the boot menu.
2) Run the system recovery options without having to get into the bootup menu.
3) Any other solutions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

This looks like it may help: Windows 7, "Repair your computer" F8 boot option not working (SOLVED) http://forum.acronis.com/forum/6758

Post back & let us know.:thumbup2:

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

What happened for you to need to run a complete system recovery (factory restore)?

Give all details for help :)

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

This looks like it may help: Windows 7, "Repair your computer" F8 boot option not working (SOLVED) http://forum.acronis.com/forum/6758

Post back & let us know.:thumbup2:

Thank you for the link, it did help me know where to look for the problem.

I tried following the same troubleshooting steps and here is what my bcdedit /enum all looks like:

C:\>bcdedit /enum all

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-us
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {2e2526cd-0871-11e0-af6c-bf41d69cb1c1}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-us
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {2e2526cd-0871-11e0-af6c-bf41d69cb1c1}
nx OptIn

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {2e2526cd-0871-11e0-af6c-bf41d69cb1c1}
device partition=C:
path \windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-us
inherit {resumeloadersettings}
filedevice partition=C:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
debugoptionenabled No

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier {memdiag}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale en-us
inherit {globalsettings}
badmemoryaccess Yes

EMS Settings
------------
identifier {emssettings}
bootems Yes

Debugger Settings
-----------------
identifier {dbgsettings}
debugtype Serial
debugport 1
baudrate 115200

RAM Defects
-----------
identifier {badmemory}

Global Settings
---------------
identifier {globalsettings}
inherit {dbgsettings}
{emssettings}
{badmemory}

Boot Loader Settings
--------------------
identifier {bootloadersettings}
inherit {globalsettings}
{hypervisorsettings}

Hypervisor Settings
-------------------
identifier {hypervisorsettings}
hypervisordebugtype Serial
hypervisordebugport 1
hypervisorbaudrate 115200

Resume Loader Settings
----------------------
identifier {resumeloadersettings}
inherit {globalsettings}

I also enabled the system files and hidden files, and I do not see a recovery folder as listed in the other post, see attachment.

There are various reasons for the factory install, one being that half of my factory installed programs are working, such as power saver and bluetooth manager, and I am having problems with Photoshop crashing every time after installing After Effects, which seems to be an irreversible problem. Plus, if something happens in the future and I need the factory install, I want to make sure this is taken care of before it comes down to that. It would be a bad idea to wait for a total system failure to realize that I can't run a recovery.

If needed, I can also provide some of the system event logs from when I last ran the factory restore. There seems to be quite a few errors from that day.
Again, thank you very much for the help.

Attached Files

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:13 AM

Plus, if something happens in the future and I need the factory install, I want to make sure this is taken care of before it comes down to that...

Prolly would've been prudent to make a Recovery CD/DVD then, no? Anyway, that being water under the bridge--- Can you "see" the r/c in Computer management>>Storage>>Disk Management?

I compared the output you posted to the one generated by my machine (Win7 Home Prem SP1, OEM Gateway laptop) Looks like you're missing these entries in bcdedit /enum all (Whatever that is, LOL) everything else is identical to mine except the GUID, of course.

recoverysequence {GUID}
recoveryenabled Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {GUID}
device ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\GUID
87\Winre.wim,{GUID}
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Recovery Environment
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\GUID
87\Winre.wim,{GUID}
systemroot \windows
nx OptIn
winpe Yes

Device options
--------------
identifier {GUID}
description Ramdisk Options
ramdisksdidevice partition=C:
ramdisksdipath \Recovery\GUID\boot.sdi

C:\Users\XXXX

How to go about fixing this (proper command prompts?? SFCSCANNOW, may replace missing C:\Recovery folder?) is beyond my pay grade--I'm afraid you'll need to wait until someone more experienced comes by (Jacee, that means YOU LOL)

While SFC SCANNOW seldom (IMO) helps, it may here. Do you have any installation CD/DVD? Perhaps you can replace the missing folder that way?

Good luck.

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 February 2011 - 05:19 AM.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:14 AM

Edit: hiccup.

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 February 2011 - 05:15 AM.

#7 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

I definitely appreciate you looking at it and giving the advice that you have.

I'm going to have to go with the recovery CD if I ever get this fixed, the recovery partition has been nothing but trouble for me. I'm very aware that I'm not a very prudent individual, which is how I end up in stupid situations like this.

Since I have the recovery partition, I do not have the installation CD.

See attached image for what I have for my hard drive in disk management.

If I know what the settings are supposed be be on the bsdedit, I could probably figure it out, but I've never used it before and don't know what they're supposed to be set at.

Attached Files

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:50 AM

No problem, I wish I could be of more help, I think we're pretty much the same level: "I'm not a computer whiz, but I can usually understand things just fine if they're not too technica"

Is this a custom rig? 1.46gb RC seems a bit small to me. Also, why does it say "Active" --mine doesn't

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 February 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

*Content removed because the link provided contains links to illegally distributed recovery disk downloads, which is not allowed at this site ~Elise*

ETA:
How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html
EasyBCD Free Boot Manager Software http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an entry to your old XP partition or want to create a duplicate for testing purposes; if you're interested in debugging the Windows Kernel or septuple-booting your seven test operating systems, EasyBCD is the key.

• Boot into XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu/OS X and more!
  • Boot from USB, Network, ISO images, Virtual Harddisks (VHD), WinPE, and more!
  • Repair the Windows bootloader, change your boot drive, create a bootable USB, and more!
  • Rename entries, set default boot target, change BCD timeout, hide the boot menu, and more!
  • Create your own custom boot sequence, hide drives on boot, backup and restore configurations, and more

Edited by elise025, 27 February 2011 - 07:39 AM.

#10 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

You are a hero.

I am going to go search through what you've provided and try some things out. For some reason I was having the hardest time finding pertinent information.

I'm not a whiz, I only know what I know and everything else just makes me scratch my head :)

Thanks a bunch.

#11 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

And no, it's not custom. It's a Toshiba Qosmio.

By looking more at the bcdedit, it looks like the reason I don't have the C:\Recovery folder is that my recovery folder should be on the recovery partition and not my main partition. I tried assigning a drive letter through disk management so that I could access the recovery partition to see what's inside, but it won't let me, and I don't really know if that will cause any problems. From what I've seen on the other posts, the folder should be on that drive, but without being able to get into it I'm not sure if the path is correct, or if I'm just going about this whole problem the wrong way.

Edited by Kris-Chen, 27 February 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

And no, it's not custom. It's a Toshiba Qosmio.

Nice unit. As far a my being a hero, I appreciate the kind words but one can go from hero to zero in one disastrous keystroke if one isn't careful, hence I'll not offer any advice (I'm admittedly not qualified) but I'll continue to offer up reference material, which you seem adept at "ciphering".

S'more stuff you may find useful:

Create the New Windows 7 System Reserved Partition Using Windows Disk Management http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119151-system-reserved-create-using-disk-management.html?ltr=S

This information can be used to create the Windows 7 System Reserved partition after you have installed Windows using only Windows native disk management.

The main advantage of the System Reserved partition, it adds a link to WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) to the F8 advanced boot options in Windows 7 that can be accessed during PC startup to repair startup errors if a Windows installer or a system repair disk isn't available for use; it also creates a central location to store the boot files needed to start Windows in a dual/multi boot situation and that makes it very easy to replace/remove a single OS when needed.

How to Boot to the Advanced Boot Options in Windows 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/666-advanced-boot-options.html?ltr=A

Repair Your Computer

Shows a list of system recovery options that you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is only available if you have the 100 MB System Reserved partition created during the installation of Windows 7, or if you have a OEM factory recovery partition instead of a Windows 7 installation disc. If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, the System Recovery Options are located on the installation disc as well.

Deploy a System Recovery Image http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744280%28WS.10%29.aspx
Windows PE Walkthroughs http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799278%28WS.10%29.aspx

I don't know, it still seems to me you're gonna need some form of Win 7 OEM installation/repair media. Have you had any contact w/ Toshiba support?

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 February 2011 - 04:49 AM.

#13 Kris-Chen

Kris-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:51 AM

I *think* I may have found a solution that I'm going to run with. I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO system recovery and burned it (as the instructions you provided). I changed the boot sequence and was able to finally access the 'repair' options. It isn't allowing me to do a repair, as it states that I have may connected a camera or Ipod to the system and that if I have not to contact the administrator or manufacturer (something to that effect). ( I have not connected any of these, but I have a built in web-cam so I'm guessing something with that is wonky). I am now going to attempt a recovery instead, since the recovery partition isn't showing any problems and I can at least now get into the recovery options.

Unless you have any other sage words of advice, I am off (I'm going to create a backup before I attempt this daring feat).

Thanks,
Kris

Edited by Kris-Chen, 27 February 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

...it looks like the reason I don't have the C:\Recovery folder is that my recovery folder should be on the recovery partition and not my main partition.

Agreed. It also appears to answer my earlier question re: recovery console "active": why does it say "Active" --mine doesn't. You're missing the System Reserved (100mb) Partition.
As for the C:recovery folder I'm attaching a jpeg of where the folder and it's two needed files reside on my computer.

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

I *think* I may have found a solution that I'm going to run with. I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO system recovery and burned it (as the instructions you provided). I changed the boot sequence and was able to finally access the 'repair' options. It isn't allowing me to do a repair, as it states that I have may connected a camera or Ipod to the system and that if I have not to contact the administrator or manufacturer (something to that effect). ( I have not connected any of these, but I have a built in web-cam so I'm guessing something with that is wonky). I am now going to attempt a recovery instead, since the recovery partition isn't showing any problems and I can at least now get into the recovery options.

Unless you have any other sage words of advice, I am off (I'm going to create a backup before I attempt this daring feat).

Thanks,
Kris

Good luck with that. Keep us posted.:thumbup2:

ETA: (I'm going to create a backup before I attempt this daring feat).
Good idea.

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 February 2011 - 05:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users