Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hello everyone,
I have a Gateway GT5692 PC that has a 64 bit, triple core processor, but the pc has been hit by a power surge, and I believe the mobo is fried. I'd like to take the CPU out & put it in my Compaq Presario SR5350F computer if it will work. I'm already using the Gateway's 4GB of RAM & 500 GB HDD.

(Note: Everything seems to work on the Gateway except the display. usb ports, & lights on the power button.
HDD, Fans, & CD drive all spin)

Check this thread for more info.

My question is...

Will the triple core CPU out of the Gateway work in the Compaq that has a dual core CPU? & what issues might I have?

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to give the correct description of the CPU's so I'll give the links to the PC Specs.

Gateway GT5692 Specs

Compaq Presario SR5350F Specs

Working with hardware is new to me, but I really enjoy it, and don't mind taking some risks, If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

No it won't your first gateway is a AMD phenom triple core, on a AM2+ socket, the second computer is a intel based 775 socket the two are not compatible with each other, you may be better off purchasing am2+ micro ATX motherboard, you can usually find them for 40-50 dollars from newegg.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

No it won't your first gateway is a AMD phenom triple core, on a AM2+ socket, the second computer is a intel based 775 socket the two are not compatible with each other, you may be better off purchasing am2+ micro ATX motherboard, you can usually find them for 40-50 dollars from newegg.

Wow, thank you very much for the info patriot, I had no idea I could get one that cheap, although it will still be a while, as their are currently more important things on the agenda.

In the mean time. Considering that I'm just kind of playing with these machines, Is there anything else I can do with them? What would you do if you had them?
Just looking for some off the wall ideas here.

BTW, I am currently quad booting Windows Vista, Linux Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat, with my 360 GB hdd and Linux Mint Julia & Linux Kubuntu Maverick Meerkat with the 500 GB hdd borrowed from the Gateway. These are the OS's I want on the Gateway when I get the mobo.

Anyone feel free to reply with any suggestions.

Edited by Dutch70, 25 February 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

not a lot unless the memorys interchangeable and theres room to upgrade on the other one. Here is an example of a motherboard that should work with your CPU

Edited by the_patriot11, 25 February 2011 - 03:34 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users