Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost power, now can't get past BSOD (no CD drive)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vagabonder1

vagabonder1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

I want to say thanks for any help offered here! My computer is an ASUS Eee MINI netbook (I do not have a CD drive, nor do I have an external drive). The battery is dead on this netbook, so when we lost power the computer shut off. When I turned it back on it gave me the black screen to choose my start up mode, I chose to start windows normally and it went to boot up into windows, I got the windows screen with the scrolling blue bar... after about a minute it would cycle back to the black screen. I did choose the option to get the blue screen so I could read the error, which is:
unmountable_boot_volume
0x000000ED,0X8615DE30, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

I'm not computer savy, but I have done some searching and figured out I need to boot with Windows XP CD - except I do not have a CD (computer came installed with the program) and I do not have a CD drive. I've been trying to find a way/program to get this onto a USB... but this is where I'm running into problems.

Also, I can get into my BIOS screen. I CANNOT get into a DOS screen. I CANNOT boot up in safe mode.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigJay

BigJay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

This could help you.

#3 vagabonder1

vagabonder1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

hmmm, not sure if that's what I need. I think I need some way to get Windows XP into a thumb drive, so I can boot up the netbook via USB...

#4 BigJay

BigJay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

I could of swore the UBCD had a recovery console. Anyway try this.

#5 vagabonder1

vagabonder1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

BigJay: thanks for your help, but this is the problem... I don't have the windows CD to burn onto the thumb drive... which is what these programs require.

#6 BigJay

BigJay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Are you wanting to reinstall windows? The second link has a link to a free recovery console, witch should allow you to wright a new boot sector to your existing installation.

#7 vagabonder1

vagabonder1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

the second link u gave gives directions on how to create a recovery USB with XP.... which is what I need.... I THINK. From what I've 'self' learned, I have a hard drive issue that will not allow windows to open up, and so now I need to 'fix' windows. From what I've found this is done with the recovery CD (which I did not get with the computer)...
Your second link does offer that program, which I downloaded - but in steps 4-6 you insert your windows CD and the program saves it onto the USB. I do not have the CD, hence my problem.

#8 nyteryder

nyteryder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

the second link u gave gives directions on how to create a recovery USB with XP.... which is what I need.... I THINK. From what I've 'self' learned, I have a hard drive issue that will not allow windows to open up, and so now I need to 'fix' windows. From what I've found this is done with the recovery CD (which I did not get with the computer)...
Your second link does offer that program, which I downloaded - but in steps 4-6 you insert your windows CD and the program saves it onto the USB. I do not have the CD, hence my problem.

Hello,

I just fixed a system that would blue screen no matter what you tried with the recovery console and you need this program to fix yours system. The first command is FIXBOOT which will wright a new bootstrap to your hard drive and then do a FIXMBR and this will repair the master boot record of the drive. Last, if you think you have a corrupted hard drive from the power loss then run CHKDSK /FS and this will repair and recover your hard drive sir. You need to have the recovery console on a thumb drive to do this or find a friend who has a usb backup drive with the recovery console installed on it. CHKDSK /FS will recover and repair damaged sectors from a power loss corruption of the hard drive. Fixed many systems using this simple command. All the systems repaired all booted into a blue screen stop error code and all were recovered back to normal. Good luck. Research using the recovery console....understand it and use it with care and it will be your computers best friend!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Soooo...you have a netbook without an optical...no install disks for XP...and the system won't boot into safe mode or normal mode.

What exact model netbook, please?

Does this netbook have any provisions for doing a restore to factory defaults?

Louis

Know anyone with XP...who has the correct CD (same version as yours)?

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#10 BigJay

BigJay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

One more shot at this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users