Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Driving me Crazy.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nepats52

nepats52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hi all. I've been reading this site for quite a while and have solved many computer issues with your advice. However, this one is driving me crazy. I have a Dell 1501 Inspiron Laptop. Here's the issues I'm having.

1) Keyboard Lag (on and off) 2-3 second lag
2) Can not shut down, restart, or hibernate XP from the start menu. I have to use the power button to shut down.
3) Screen saver will not work
4) Internet explorer 8 will stop responding after being online for 5-10 mins

Suspecting a virus/malaware these are the programs I have already run:
1) Symantic Anti-Virus
2) Spybot Search and destroy
3) Malwarebytes
4) SmitFraudFix
5) Combofix
6) Superantispyware
7) AVG 2011 Free edition
8) CCleaner

I am out of ideas. Please help. The next step I would have tried was Dr. Web Cureit.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Have you tried a clean install?

The symptoms you describe...don't seem to be typical malware symptoms, IMO...while they do seem to indicate that your O/S is not performing as it should.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

He has ran Combofix, and that could attribute to some of the issues he is describing.

If he wants to have the log analyzed then I recommend:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

In regards to CCleaner:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
In regards to Symantec it can take up a lot of resources so in that regards, I would remove it.

Norton Removal Tool

#4 nepats52

nepats52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

That would have been the next step, however I can't seem to locate the reinstall disk.

#5 nepats52

nepats52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

All of the issues were happening before I ran combofix. So I don't think Combofix caused the problems.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Try it in safe mode & see if it does the same thing.
Restart the computer and after the Dell spash screen tap F8 repeatedly until the startup menu appears.
Select safe mode with networking.

If it works in safe mode I would suspect something loading on startup like possibly Norton.
Ive seen Norton products cause a lot of weird issues.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users