Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Microsoft Automatic Updates are Pending Installation?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

I am running XP Pro SP3 and have Automatic Updates enabled to automatically download and then alert me to install them.

Yesterday when I went to shutdown, I was reminded that there were important updates to install and had the option to install them on the shutdown or shutdown without installing the updates, but I want to know what these import updates are (by KB number or something like that).

Today, I see that I am being notified via shield that there are updates to be installed and click the shield icon in the Notification Area, I can see the list of updates and decide what to do. I don't know if those updates just came in today, or if they are the updates that have been pending installation for the last few days.

Yesterday, I did not notice the shield icon alerting me to the pending updates (maybe more came in today - some MS Office things...)

How can I tell what updates have been downloaded that are pending installation and ready to be installed, especially when getting ready to turn off the computer and it tells me there are important updates. What are the important updates so I can look at them? There is no shield icon to click sometimes in those situations.

If I do see the shield icon and click it, I can see the list of updates and write them down one by one which is no fun. I would rather just do something to get a list of all the updates that have already been downloaded and are ready to install.

I would like to know what updates XP has already downloaded and thinks needs to be installed so I can keep up with them a little better in case there is a problem on the next reboot or later on, I will know where to start looking.

If you go to Windows Update and look at the history it only tells you what has already been installed, not what has been downloaded and waiting to be installed.

I know I can look in the Windows folder or Windows Update History after the updates have been installed, but I want to know what is pending before they are installed.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

Do you have Windows Defender?

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

I do not.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
You can visit the M/soft update site and click on "Review your Update History" to find what you have already d/loaded -
The downloads should be generally accepted unless there is a problem you are having with certain updates -

Update for Windows XP (KB971029)
Typical download size: 935 KB , 1 minute
Install this update to restrict AutoRun entries in the AutoPlay dialog to only CD and DVD drives. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

This is the only 'critical update' that I could find - Mine are also set to notify me and I install when it suits me -

Thank You -

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

When I go go to Turn Off my computer, I am notified to click Turn Off to install the important updates.

If I go ahead and Turn Off, the updates will be installed.

I can also chose to Turn Off without installing the updates.

I want to know what updates will be installed if I Turn Off my computer.

If you visit the MS site, the history only tells you what has already been installed.

I want to know what updates have been downloaded to my system that has not yet been installed.

They are on my system waiting to be installed, what are they?

Edited by joseibarra, 25 February 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps there's a clue in these links

Restore declined updates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hsc_autoupdate_remind.mspx?mfr=true
Install updates that have been downloaded
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hsc_autoupdate_remind.mspx?mfr=true

\Windows\SoftwareDistribution holds the updates. But I'm not sure which of the many subdirectories to look at. Just can't recall. Traverse them all and see if something resembles KBnumbers or something similar.

I did Windows XP patches just yesterday: KB 971029, 2478971, 2483185, 2479628, 2482017(IE cumulative), 2393802, 2485376, 2476687, 890530(msrt), 2419632, 2478960.. pheeew! See any of those numbers?

Edited: I just looked at the log of updates. They do funny stuff, very long filenames, with a bit of indication of the KB numbers. But it is definitely in \Software distribution. Quoting the log just for the IE cumulative:

2011-02-24 21:04:59:937 1364 a80 DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {D725B33A-CFFD-4837-B791-45DA71175F79}.101] ***********
2011-02-24 21:05:00:281 1364 a80 DnldMgr * BITS job initialized, JobId = {0D35217B-B673-4215-96CD-F2F8A8C8FAC3}
2011-02-24 21:05:00:375 1364 a80 DnldMgr * Downloading from http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/01/ie8-windowsxp-kb2482017-x86-enu_77804243e461356abeadb0b8b528d2b4321e1578.exe to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1d9ece3ee16bbb781d71f11da3f85952\ie8-windowsxp-kb2482017-x86-enu.exe (full file).

Good luck!

Edited by tos226, 25 February 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

Well, I can figure it out what has been downloaded and waiting to install by looking in the log and finding the pending folders, etc.

That sounds like the "hard way".

I was curious to know if there was an "easy way" :lol:

Maybe I will figure out an easy way - that stuffs gotta be waiting around somewhere. It is more just a curiosity.

If you open the update shield icon in the Notification Area, you can see what is ready to install and decide what to do, but sometimes I don't see that to click it.

I am not worried about installing the updates, just want to know what XP is going to install when I Turn Off.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

I just edited my post - note the KB# is at the end of the giberrish in the \download directory.
Mine is empty because everything installed.

Edited by tos226, 25 February 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi joseibarra -

I was curious to know if there was an "easy way"
I want to know what updates will be installed if I Turn Off my computer.

Yes there is an "easy way" - Click on the link I left to M/soft updates then click on . . . .
Express . . . Get high-priority updates . .(recommended)
The Express link will show the ones that are going to be the next ones to be installed -
The Custom items listed below that are the optional updates that you can install if you wish -

It is easy -

Edited by noknojon, 25 February 2011 - 11:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users