Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Netgear N600 Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Storm3

Storm3

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Hello,

It's been a while since I've visited these forums but when I was last here I got some great help and recommendations. I do have a problem I need help with as I'm stumped (and sick, which doesn't help with my patience in this matter).

I just switched from DSL to Road Runner. Road Runner was installed this morning, and the installer supplied me with a Ubee modem. The internet was up and working fine on my PC, so I decided to go out and buy a new wireless router for connecting to my PS3 and laptop since the router I had for the DSL line is getting old. I decided to go with a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400). I followed the directions given to hook it up, etc. but the problem I'm running into deals with starting the installation off the installation CD. I select setup and it starts doing its wizard setup but keeps stopping and telling me "Netgear Genie. No Adapter. The Ethernet Adapter is either not working or not connected." This is not all of what it tells me, and I'll be more than happy to try and hook it up again and write down everything it says. I just figured I'd type into Google the router I have and come across thousands of similar problems, but I haven't seen any that match my router and the "No Adapter" problem.

I'm not computer stupid but I have no idea what it means by my Ethernet adapter not working. I'm on the internet right now because I unplugged the router and just ran the Ethernet cable from the modem to the PC. I just don't know what's going on and would really appreciate any advice. I looked it up and the router does work on Windows XP, which is what I'm plugging it into. I am frustrated as I'm trying to get my wireless network setup again since the transfer from DSL to Road Runner, and I am trying to do it while starting to get really sick, so please forgive me if I've overlooked a topic similar to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

Heres a link to the support site for that router
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13608
you do NOT need to use the CD to setup the router
Setup Manual here
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3400_SM_23MAR2010.pdf

connect the PC to one of the LAN connections and using Internet Explorer type the following into the address bar
http://www.routerlogin.net
OR
http://192.168.1.1

That should open the configuration pages and prompt for a username and password
For security reasons, the router has its own user name and password. When prompted, enter
admin for the router user name and password for the router password, both in lowercase
letters

lets see if you can login OK

It may be all you need to do is reset the router back to factory reset and then power everything OFF
connect the modem and router together
powerup the modem first and allow to settle - report back here the status of all the lights
powerup the router and allow to settle - report back here the status of all the lights
connect a PC to the LAN

lets see the ipconfig /all and device manager from the PC

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
ETAF

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

So the roadrunner modem, connected to your old router, works, but connected to the new modem, it doesnt?

First of all, the modem/router doesnt need a computer to work, at all. Out of the box, the new router, when working like it should, connects to the modem, and now is broadcasting a wireless signal, not encrypted, that you could connect to immmediately.

And you are saying that when you try connecting to your new adapter, that is says "No adapter".

I think i know why...The router you have gives off signals at 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. If your wireless adapter in your computer is not new/made to connect to both bands, 2.4 and 5, then when attempting to connect ot a 5ghz signal with an old 2.4ghz adapter, you will run into your problem.

To solve this problem, you must change the routers settings, easily done, at the router login page, which the above user has provided ample instructions on doing so. Once there, goto the wireless settings page, you can choose which signals broadcast, either 2.4 and/or 5, and whether or not each signal is password protected or not. You need to turn off the 5 ghz broadcast, leaving only the 2.4ghz signal. Unless you buy an adapter that is made for the newer 5ghz signal, it wont really work for you. I have the WD3700 model, which gives out the dual band signal, and i bought a new wireless adapter made for that router, a netgear dual band reciever, and i can choose which signal, since ive named them 2 diff names an have 2 diff passwords on them.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 Storm3

Storm3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Etaf, thanks for the help. The stuff you posted about not needing the CD to setup the router I read last night, but the computer wasn't connecting to the internet through the router at that time so I couldn't go that route. But I was feeling very bad and very tired so I might not have been doing something right. When I tried hooking it up again this morning, it let me connect to the internet so I could go through the setup, and I have it up and running now. @ S1lents0ul: I believe the problem with the CD not working is just what you said. Thanks to both of you for your quick responses and help.

I do have one more question, nothing major, but just want some feedback. For some reason, my bedroom where my PS3 is located must be in another dimension because it fluctuates on how well it connects to the wireless router. With DSL and my old router, the PS3 would very seldom get 90% connection, most of the time get low 80s, but would even drop to the 50s some nights where I couldn't connect to my PS3 online games. I bought this new router in hopes that it will give me a better connection. The laptop I have connects fine all over the house, but the PS3 (which is around 30 feet away down a small hallway and in my bedroom) is what I want the best connection for. This new router is hoovering around the low 90s on the PS3 for the past 2 hours (which is good), but it did drop to the high 80s and even only a 72% connection for around 10 minutes or so. I'm starting to think it's just something in the walls between the router and my room and I need to directly connect it to the router by an Ethernet cable to get the best connection for the PS3. The issue is that it's around a 30-40 feet run, where I'd have to run it under my crawlspace into my bedroom. Does that length of a run affect the connection of an Ethernet cable? I'd hate to buy one that long and only get around 80% connection, which is what I've been getting with the wireless router. Also, if 50 feet doesn't affect anything, I'm looking at getting this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JDF6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk and connecting it directly to the PS3. Is that a good option for getting 100% connection on my PS3 at all times?

Once again, guys, I really appreciate your help and feedback!

#5 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

you should be fine with the cable - dont run next to electrical cables etc
BUT
have a play with the router and PS3 - sometimes just a samll movement can make a big difference - so have a play with the position of both the PS3 and the Router- just moving the aerial

also changing the channels used can make a difference - log into the router and change the wireless channel - use xirrus to see what channels are in use
ch 1 6 and 11 do not overlap

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program
ETAF

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Randomly losing and gaining singal strength, in your case, again, has to do with the frequency interference, that the 2.4ghz is getting from other devices. Any device, to include cordless phones, would create interferrence. Do what Etaf has suggested before purchasing a cable, but keep in mind the CAT6 transmits data at a higher frequency then CAT5e inside the cable and would be able to have data travel a bit further without a signal booster in place.

Use www.speedtest.net and check your wireless speeds and ping all over the house, near your PS3, compared to other places, to see speed differences in different rooms, ping and packet loss. You can use this site to create a more perfect wireless enviroment for your PS3.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 Storm3

Storm3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I've got everything up and running great now. Once again, thanks for the help and recommendations!

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

You are very welcome, glad we could help. :)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users