Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In need of some guidance.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

So I've come into possession of an older Toshiba laptop and I'm trying to make it work again. I've posted on it once before Old Thread but didn't get very far due to time and other occurrences in life.

Right now I have a Laptop that for whatever reason tries to use the Realtek Ethernet adapter to find and boot from a network boot OS. I've figured out the reason for this is that the hard drive 80gb PATA is toast. I've since removed it and now installed a 250gb PATA that I picked up for around $60. I figured it was worth a try. I even have the Toshiba recovery DVD from factory, its aged but it still shows the files when I look at it on my Desktop PC. The new HDD does show up in the BIOS, figured I'd check that first.

First thing I tried formatting the disk with my desktop PC to NTFS but I get the next issue.

When I put the Recovery disk into the laptop to install the XP OS onto the laptop all I get is this:

"BOOTMGR is Missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"

Secondly I tried formatting the disk to the other "exFAT" with my desktop and I get a different error when I go to install the OS recovery on the laptop:

"Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart"

Ideas?

Edited by Crazy49er, 24 February 2011 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

You maybe missing some BIOS files that maybe required to get anything to install. I would download a Linux LiveCD and see what happens.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

Disregard.

Just read your linked to post.

Edited by ThunderZ, 24 February 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

I have run PC Doctor 7.5 on it and tested the hardware, it used a Caldera Dos platform ... sort of a standalone OS..ish...thing

Downloading the Ubuntu Live Desktop CD, I'll burn the ISO then try it and report back.

#5 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Um...you can't install XP from a recovery disk. That requires a current XP installation to already be in place. You need a full XP OEM or retail CD.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

Um...you can't install XP from a recovery disk. That requires a current XP installation to already be in place. You need a full XP OEM or retail CD.

:question:

A recovery disk is for just such an event. Hard drive failure.

#7 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

Recovery disks are for repairing current XP installations, no?

He said he formatted a new drive for it. He'll need a full XP CD for that. I'm pretty sure a recovery CD needs to see traces of an OS installed.

My apologies if I'm somehow wrong in this.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

A properly made recovery disk is bootable and contains all data, including the OS, that was on the system at the time it was created.

They are made, sometimes even furnished with PCs in the event of a hard drive failure. It does not need to see anything other then the hard drive it is being installed on.

Edited by ThunderZ, 24 February 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#9 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

Burned the ISO file ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386 to a DVD, tried it in the laptop drive but I still get the same error.

And yes recovery disks are designed just for this case where a hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. New drives wont have any trace of an OS on them and the disk is designed to set it up and install the files. I am wondering if perhaps a 250gb is too large or the partition / format is incorrect?

#10 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

A properly made recovery disk is bootable and contains all data, including the OS, that was on the system at the time it was created.

They are made, sometimes even furnished with PCs in the vent of a hard drive failure. It does not need to see anything other then the hard drive it is being installed on.

Alright good info to keep in mind I suppose...I've always gotten OEM XP CD's along with separate recovery disks in case of system file errors (which can be caused by HDD failure or viruses, usually..)

Burned the ISO file ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386 to a DVD, tried it in the laptop drive but I still get the same error.

And yes recovery disks are designed just for this case where a hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. New drives wont have any trace of an OS on them and the disk is designed to set it up and install the files. I am wondering if perhaps a 250gb is too large or the partition / format is incorrect?

That is a strange message I don't think I've encountered. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't be able to boot into any CD other than optical drive failure, but it appears to be seeing them if it's asking you to remove it..
Maybe try getting a USB boot device, if the machines BIOS allows for it. Not sure exactly what would be best to make into a USB boot device. Maybe somebody else has some input on that.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

The formatting of the disk should not matter when first attempting to boot from the CD.

The drive is recognized in the BIOS. May be a size limitation set in the BIOS it being an older PC. But if it came with XP originally then it`s doubtful.

#12 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yeah the Bios doesn't allow to boot from a USB drive. It can see it but it doesn't want to deal with it. Its a Toshiba Satellite P25-S520 laptop I've tried to do homework on it to the best of my ability, the BIOS on it will not boot from a USB so flash drives are out. I did attempt once to use an external DVD drive but it didn't seem to want to work. The bios could see it but it wouldn't boot from it.

I tried changing the boot order, and removing the option to boot from network. Still no luck. If the DVD/CD drive was bad I could see that being a reason why.. but the BIOS can see it, and when I insert a disk it makes the sound like its trying to read it several times but the computer itself doesn't want to.

I guess there could be a size limitation to how big of a drive I could add to the computer via the BIOS or it just doesn't know how to handle it. But I haven't a clue how to change the BIOS of a laptop that wont accept USB drives, and is currently without a hard drive or OS.

Edited by Crazy49er, 24 February 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#13 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

If it's a BIOS issue like cryptodan suggested, you could attempt at running the latest BIOS update off a CD...download from the Toshiba site and the ReadMe.txt should have instructions for how to do it.

Aside from that- Are you manually opting to boot into the optical drive every time? By pressing F11 or whatever the key is for boot options menu, and not just going off the settings in the BIOS? I'm not sure why it's looking for BOOTMGR if you aren't selecting the HDD. Also, you might want to try having a boot CD AND boot DVD. I've seen a lot of drives fail at loading one but not the other.

Sorry I'm just throwing out a lot of different suggestions. Let me know if you think anything sounds plausible or worth trying. Haha.

EDIT: Removed suggestion to use Hiren's CD, such links/suggestions are no longer to be made on this website...due to Microsoft/copyright determinations made in 2010 ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#14 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

If it's a BIOS issue like cryptodan suggested, you could attempt at running the latest BIOS update off a CD...download from the Toshiba site and the ReadMe.txt should have instructions for how to do it.

Aside from that- Are you manually opting to boot into the optical drive every time? By pressing F11 or whatever the key is for boot options menu, and not just going off the settings in the BIOS? I'm not sure why it's looking for BOOTMGR if you aren't selecting the HDD. You can try making a Hiren's boot CD and load Mini XP. Also, you might want to try having a boot CD AND boot DVD. I've seen a lot of drives fail at loading one but not the other.

Sorry I'm just throwing out a lot of different suggestions. Let me know if you think anything sounds plausible or worth trying. Haha.

Got a link for Hiren's boot CD? I've heard of that one before but I never could find the download link.

I am burning the ISO again on a CD this time just to see what happens.

Also Im trying it both ways I'll let it try and boot itself and if it doesn't work I F12, selecting the boot menu and try to boot from CD/DVD

#15 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

I'm currently burning the ISO file for the latest BIOS update for this laptop. Going to try that.

No Luck, I'm beginning to think this DVD/CD drive just isn't connected properly or doesn't want to function.

Edited by Crazy49er, 25 February 2011 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users