Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Vista Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skyryan

skyryan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hey guys,

New member here hoping to get some major advice for a laptop that's doing my head in. Anyway, the problem started around a year ago but over the course of time, it has gotten progressively worse and worse. Obviously, I thought it was a hardware issue but there's always something that keeps giving me hope that it's only a software issue instead.

Anyway, my problem is that I have a really hard time getting past the Vista boot up screen, ie the green bar scrolling across the bottom. It would intermittently crash in between the loading or just after the loading but before the logon screen. If by some miracle I can get past this stage and get onto the logon screen, the laptop is pretty much on a countdown to a silent crash with no warning.

Now I know that this may sound like a hardware issue, but the thing is I've tried booting it up and running in safe mode for long periods of time with absolutely no problem whatsover. I've also gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup programs, and only start services which is started in safe mode with networking. Now here's the weird part. This fix only worked for approximately 5 days with absolutely no crashes in normal mode before I'm back to square one.

So now, I'm at a loss. I'm not sure what programs or whatnot I should run or try to do to make normal mode work as smoothly as safe mode. I have yet to try doing a clean install of Vista but I want to try to keep that as a last ditch effort. If any of you could please help me in this arduous task thank you very much. I really don't know what else I should do.

Also as a side note, and I know this is sort of a reach, but is there any way to sort of "make" or "hack" a safe mode that is able to open programs aswell? I know the whole point of safe mode is to run with little service and etc as possible, but just thought I'd ask.

Thank you very much for your time, patience, and more importantly help.
I appreciate it very much,
skyryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Oh also just a little additional info,
I have tried starting the laptop up in base video to no avail.
I've done a seatools hdd scan with no error.
I've done a memory diagnostic test that came with windows with no error.
I've done a virus scanner scan.
I've taken out and resit the memory
I've opened the laptop up to clean up all the dust and rule out overheating as an issue.

So I've pretty much tried my hand at doing everything possible to rule out anything hardware related. The only thing I can't exactly check is if it's a power related issue, or a motherboard issue. Is there any programs that can do a motherboard check or something?

Sorry for the double post. But just thought I'd clarify what I've tried doing exactly.

Thank you

Edited by skyryan, 24 February 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Have you gotten any blue screens of death?

#4 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Nope. Never had any warning of any kind before crashing. It would just instantly turn off and restart.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

That sounds like a heat related issue.

#6 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

That's what I initially thought since long before I had the recent problem, I did have some overheating issues. But those issues were corrected by the cleaning of the heatsink and fan both back then and more recently when I started running into the recent problem. It also doesn't explain why I'm able to run in safe mode for extended periods of time, using the internet with no overheating issues, yet I can't even idle in normal mode.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

In safe mode your computer is not taxed as much since its not running that many things. When you last cleaned your CPU/Heatsink did you make sure to apply thermal paste again?

#8 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yep I applied a new coat of thermal paste.

I understand that the computer isn't taxed as much but I've also tried booting up with more or less the same amount of service as in safe mode with just a base video and no startup programs, and it still wouldn't get past the windows loading screen. Yet I go into safe mode and first go I get past it and as of now, the laptop has been on for 3 days with no hiccups.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#10 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Is it possible to run it via a USB bootup? My optical is no longer functioning (I know, what a dud of a Toshiba laptop I've got on my hand right...)

Oh and how would one go about such a task? I've done it before with windows 7 but I've vaguely forgotten and that was from a DVD rather than a image file.

Thanks

Edited by skyryan, 24 February 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Here you go: USB Creator

#12 skyryan

skyryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have to go to work now so I'll continue with this tonight and get back to you.

Thanks for all the help so far in the mean time.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Have a good night at work, and create the USB Drive and let it run while you are at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users