Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rename A System File

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hello,
Is there a way to change the name of the system file in C:\Documents and Settings? The reason is my sister in-law bought a computer with her ex-husband and wants his name taken of her computer. The folder I am referring too is the one that has the following folders in it: Desktop, Cookies, Favorites, My Documents, Start Menu, and User Data. From the research I have done, it seems you can not do it, even in the Microsoft site, makes me think a person can not do it safely, unless you reinstall Windows. Maybe you folks at B.C. have a solution other then a reinstal, she, unfortunately, dose not have the original disk.
Thank You and I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas :thumbsup:
Wink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:35 AM

Generally it's very difficult to do - but it should be possible.

First, copy the information from that profile that you want to save.
Go into the properties of the folder and remove the Read Only attribute. You may have to use the Command Prompt to remove the "system" attribute. And, you may have to mess with the security settings to give yourself permission to do this.
Then try delete the profile in User Accounts.
Then use the Recovery Console to delete or rename the offending structure (I haven't tried this part). There are also various utilities for renaming/moving/deleting "protected" files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

Hi John,
Thanks for the response, I can follow your instrutions right up to using the Recovery Console, I am not quite sure what that is, I do not think I have ever used it before.
Have a great day,
Wink

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

It sounds like you are talking about the folder created when you add a user.

If there are any files in there she wants to keep, I would copy them to a new location.

Then while logged on as adminstrator go to start/control panel/user accounts and then click on user accounts button.

Select the account you want to delete and click on remove. The folder should then be safe to remove.

#5 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

Thanks franktiii,
No there is only one active account, that is the administrator account, I was able to rename that one easily enough. This folder is part of the path for the icons on the desktop, all the garbage that comes in from the internet eg. C:\documents and settings\name and name\Desktop, or Cookies. It is a very busy folder and maybe I should just leave it alone. I tried copying a subfolder to a new folder and I got a popup saying that a certain file was being used by another program, so I quit.
Thank You for the responses, and I hope Old Saint Nick is good to you all :thumbsup: .
Wink

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:10 PM

I have deleted user. That clears those files in C:/Document and Settings that were not actually system files, but all that the other user filled in with and those filled about him/her. The configs.

That user it seems might be you, now, if you renamed the previous admin user instead of creating a new admin account user, and then going through a relatively involved task of "allowing for the termination of another admin".

So, maybe a reformat really is the best way to go.
Save files of what you want, divide if necessary, then start over.

Good advice in prior posts, too. ty usasma

Edited by phawgg, 20 December 2005 - 07:11 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

Resize the partition and create a new partition. Once you are setup , drag and drop from C:\ to the newly created D:\. That is the easy way and it does not involve transferring files back and forth between machines or CD\DVDs. They should still be backed up to a CD\DVD.

Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

2 links on installing and using the Recovery Console:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...N&fr=0&ln=EN-US

As I mentioned in my previous post - this should be possible, BUT I have not tried it myself!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:02 AM

Thank you to all that responded, I appeciate the help, but I think at least for now I will leave that folder alone. If she needs to reinstall Windows sometime, she can deal with it then.
Merry Christmas and have a very happy New Year,
Wink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users