Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy of Win7 not genuine?!?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm getting this strange message in the bottom right corner of my desktop today:

Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine

It IS genuine! I never got this message until today.

I downloaded SP1 and other updates yesterday. I downloaded another security update today.

Should I try to uninstall the one I downloaded today, since I never saw the message until today? Has anybody else seen this message after installing recent updates?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

What security application did you download?

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

All of the security updates for Win7 that came out yesterday, plus SP1. Oh security updates for Powerpoint Viewer also.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Have you tried reactivating it?

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

Would I do that with the repair disc I made? I don't have a key. I bought the computer from a local shop and the guy just told me to follow the instructions in control panel to make a repair disc.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

You do not have a key? More then likely your copy of Windows is pirated them.

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

No, it's not pirated. I bought it from a reputable computer shop which I trust is honest. It came recommended by a geek. I've had the computer since November, and this message only showed up today.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Well if the shop is in fact as good as they say they are, then they should have provided you with a CD/DVD and a Key to reinstall it. Other wise the software is in my opinion considered pirated.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

OK. Thanks for the word of caution. I'll take it up with the shop owners tomorrow. I appreciate your input.

#10 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Actually, for curiosity's sake, I just uninstalled the optional security update which I had installed earlier today, rebooted, and now that message is gone. Strange. The update is KB2488113.

My version of Windows 7 is x64 Ultimate, by the way.

I'll still heed your caution though, cryptodan. Thanks again.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Actually, for curiosity's sake, I just uninstalled the optional security update which I had installed earlier today, rebooted, and now that message is gone. Strange. The update is KB2488113.

My version of Windows 7 is x64 Ultimate, by the way.

I'll still heed your caution though, cryptodan. Thanks again.

Hmmm, strange days indeed....
KB2488113: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113
You might want to try the direct d/l (requires validation) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B9B00A89-B4F4-47A2-8C5B-09D61296711B&displaylang=fi&displaylang=en --- if it fails validation you know that there's a problem, Houston. If it passes & installs, at least you'll put your mind at ease . :busy:
ETA: I'd still follow up with the shopowner re: Key and install DVD

Edited by Union_Thug, 24 February 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#12 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Strike my experiment from the record. The message came back a while after uninstalling that update. It seems like it only appears after I've been online for hours. And it only started after these updates. SO, I'm trying to uninstall some others, but getting an error uninstalling PPV SP2 ...

Thanks, Union_Thug for the validation link. Yes, I'll query the guy at the shop who built the computer regardless. It's just weird that the message didn't appear until now, after all these updates were installed. I've had the computer since November.

Anyway, yes, I'll innocently run it by him. Thanks again.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

....The message came back a while after uninstalling that update....And it only started after these updates. .... It's just weird that the message didn't appear until now, after all these updates were installed. I've had the computer since November.

The "plot" thickens....

Was one of the updates installed KB971033? If so, you may find this article of significant interest:

This Copy of Windows is not Genuine - Windows 7
Article by Arun Kumar, MVP (47,784 pts )
Published on Feb 19, 2011

You get a message - this copy of Windows is not genuine - if you are using a pirated or OEM copy of Windows 7. Sometimes it also presents the message on genuine installations. The article takes a look at the reason and how to remove Windows genuine Advantage message.
Windows 7 says This copy of Windows is not Genuine – WHY?

This copy of Windows is not Genuine If your Windows 7 was working fine and you suddenly start receiving messages saying this copy of Windows is not genuine - for Windows 7, chances are that you must have installed the Windows 7 update KB971033. This Windows 7 update scans for more than 70 activation bypasses to detect if your copy of Windows 7 is genuine or not. If it finds even a single activation bypass, you are in a mess. Windows 7 starts bombarding you with messages that say – this copy of Windows is not Genuine – and reminds you constantly that you need to go for a genuine version.

Of particular interest in the comments that follow:

Hi Niner,
Windows has tightened the activation bypass test in Service pack 1 due to which, unregistered copies are facing this problem. I wonder if you have a genuine copy. If yes, you can talk to the Microsoft Customer care. If no, the only resort I see is to rollback and remove SP1 from the computer. You can find the SP1 in Programs and Features -> Windows Updates.
Regards,
Arun

Feb 23, 2011 2:42 PM
Niner
"Not Genuine".... after installing SP1
I have the same issue as saaty, after installing SP1 I get "Build 7601. This copy of Windows is not genuine". Any help would be great.

Hi Saaty
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Let me check it out. I will post some fix as soon as I get it.
Regards,
Arun
Signed: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 3:53:53 PM IST
Feb 23, 2011 5:14 AM

saaty
win 7 sp1 not genuine alert
dear sir i followed your procedure and used software to remove WAT, but all of this didnt help to solve my problem after windows update of service pack 1
kindly help to solve this problem as new procedure is required.
i believe many many users will need solution to this problem also
thanks

BTW, you're welcome! I hate to say this, but this smells pretty bad :radioactive: from my spot here in the cheap seats, hope I'm wrong though .:thumbsup2:

Hope this helps!

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 February 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#14 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:18 AM

It's pretty likely the copy is not legit. Google "Magical Jelly Bean" and download the free version of the keyfinder. It will can your machine and spit out your Windows Key. Copy and paste that into Google. If you get a bunch of hits where it is on a list of non-legit keys...time for a talk with the shop owner.

You should always get a disk and/or a OEM sticker for the side of the computer of the OEM copy is legal.

#15 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Union_Thug, yes, one of the updates installed back on 11/22/2010 was KB971033. It looks like that was the first update I ever installed. Thanks again for your help, there from the cheap seats in some secret hideout location. lol

And thanks, Sector17. I'll do a search for that. I asked the shop owner back then if I wasn't supposed to get a disc, and he said no, Win7 doesn't do that. I asked if even if I bought a computer from a big box store, it wouldn't have a disc, and he said no, that instead what 7 does is guide a person through making a disc. Obviously it was only a repair disc which it guided me in making ... but I didn't question the owner. Thanks for affirming that this would be a good time to do so.

Question to anybody - if I can't get any resolution from the shop owner, should I uninstall SP1, should I uninstall KB971033, or neither? I obviously don't want my computer to come under attack because of not having the update/SP. But I don't want MS to find out through the ether that I have a less-than-genuine copy, and come after ME for something I bought in good faith as being genuine.

Happy Friday to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users